Angular Momentum: Explained | A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter Thallium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity and is usually represented by the letter "p". Angular momentum, represented by "L", is a bit more complex and relates to spinning objects. It is determined by considering the mass, length, and angular velocity of the object. Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning the total momentum of the system will remain the same even after collisions.
Thallium
What is angular momentum? And what is momentum in general? This term appears all the time on this board and I dare not try the search engine to find an explanation. I have tried, but I understand none.
Please, if there are any foreign words in your explanations, explain them too.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two things to know about - linear momentum and angular momentum.

Linear momentum is usually just called momentum. Mathematically, it is the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is usually represented by the letter "p", as in p=mv. Qualitatively, it is hard to describe. It is a capacity to keep going I suppose, but that is not very satisfying.

Angular momentum, usually represented by "L" is a bit more complicated. It relates mostly to spinning things. Consider a kid whiling a rock around on the end of a string in a big circle. The angular momentum would be a product of the mass of the rock, the length of the string and the angular velocity (degrees per second) of the whirling. The angular momentum of more comlicated objects is determined by assuming that they are made up of an infinite number of infinitesmal whirling bits.

Momentum is interesting, because, in a closed system it is conserved. When 2 things collide, they may change speeds, but the total momentum of the system will stay the same.

Njorl

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia, or the object's resistance to rotational motion, by the angular velocity, or the rate of change of the angular displacement. The formula for angular momentum is L = I x ω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What are the units of angular momentum?

The units of angular momentum are kilogram meters squared per second (kg*m^2/s) in the SI system. In other systems, it can be expressed in terms of grams, centimeters, and seconds.

4. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because of Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In rotational motion, this means that for every torque applied to an object, there is an equal and opposite torque acting on another object, keeping the total angular momentum of the system constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some examples of angular momentum in everyday life include the spinning of a top, the rotation of the Earth around its axis, and the motion of a figure skater performing a spin. It is also responsible for the stability of objects like bicycles and gyroscopes.