Mystery Powder: Uncovering the Secret Behind Its Creation

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving mixing alum, flower (possibly sulfur flower), and cornstarch in a 1:1:1 ratio and heating it in a covered pot to create a rapidly oxidizing powder. This did not work, but the residue was saved and later used as a substitute for charcoal in making gun powder. The residue was found to turn a vibrant red when cooled, resembling red phosphorus but without any known phosphorus-containing chemicals. Suggestions are made that the residue may be made of potassium polysulfides.
Donman
Ok so I mixed alum (aluminium potassium sulfate... I think), flower,and cornstarch in a 1:1:1 ratio, and put that in a covered pot and heated it till it produced no more smoke/fumes. This was an attempt to make a rapidly oxidizing powder in air. It was very blind science, I am sorry to say. It didn't work so I took the residue and ground it up and saved it.

Then one day I was making gun powder and I didn't have enough charcoal, or sugar. Then I remembered that I had made that an it was mostly carbon any way. So I substituted it in for charcoal. It worked like a champ. But I soon noticed that the residue left behind seemed to turn a very vibrant red as it cooled.

This really puzzles me I don't know what it is. It looks like red phosphorus but, I don't think any of the chemicals contained phosphorus. What have I made?? Please some one help me out here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It would be great if you could show us a picture of it.

With "flower" you mean "sulfur flower"?
If it's so, than that red residue, IMO, could be made of potassium polisulfides.

1. What is "Mystery Powder"?

"Mystery Powder" is a substance that is created through a combination of different chemicals and substances. It is used in various industries and has a wide range of applications, from food production to scientific experiments.

2. How is "Mystery Powder" created?

The creation of "Mystery Powder" involves mixing different chemicals and substances in specific quantities and proportions. The specific ingredients and process can vary, depending on the intended use of the powder.

3. What are the properties of "Mystery Powder"?

The properties of "Mystery Powder" can vary greatly, depending on its composition. It may have a specific color, texture, or odor, and may also react in certain ways when exposed to heat, light, or other substances.

4. What industries use "Mystery Powder"?

Many industries use "Mystery Powder" for various purposes. It is commonly used in food production, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and agriculture. It is also used in scientific research and experiments.

5. Is "Mystery Powder" safe to handle?

The safety of "Mystery Powder" depends on its specific ingredients and intended use. Some powders may be safe to handle, while others may require special precautions to avoid any potential hazards. It is important to carefully follow safety guidelines and instructions when handling any type of powder.