From B.Sc. Math to Physics Grad School

In summary, the individual is a third year B.Sc. Math student who is interested in pursuing a career in Medical Physics. They are concerned about the likelihood of being accepted into a physics graduate program, particularly for Medical Physics, as a math major. While their school's website states that math majors are allowed in the program, they are considering pursuing a physics minor to improve their chances. They are seeking advice from others who have taken a similar route and plan to ask advisors for guidance. The conversation also mentions the possibility of pursuing mathematical physics and the requirements for medical physics programs.
leakin99
Hey guys, first post here!

I am entering my 3rd year of my B.Sc. Math this September. I was wondering how likely is it to get accepted into physics grad school, esp. for Medical Physics as a math major. My school's website for the medical physics program says they allow math majors but somehow that doesn’t give the reassurance I need. I am seriously considering doing a physics minor which will make me graduate a semester late..which is no biggy. If any of you have gone this route, I would really appreciate your advice. It will help me take some good questions to the advisors when school starts.

Thanks a bunch.
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm not all that sure what "medical physics" involves-- i.e. whether it is mostly practical, or theoretical. I imagine, if the latter, then there will be no problem, since they will probably be after mathematicians to construct models, etc. If the latter, then there may be a little difficulty, since you have no practical experience, but if the webpage says it's ok, then I'm sure it will be.

I think physics grad schools, don't know for sure about medical physics, require the GRE Physics subject exam. If you haven't taken any physics courses, a great score is probably NECESSARY, not helpful, but a necessity on the GRE physics.

Why not pursue mathematical physics? You get the best of both worlds? Or in your case, mathematical medical physics? Oh boy...

Anyway, like what cristo said, if the department says its ok, then its ok. Never be afraid to at least email these people and double check.

leakin99 said:
Hey guys, first post here!

I am entering my 3rd year of my B.Sc. Math this September. I was wondering how likely is it to get accepted into physics grad school, esp. for Medical Physics as a math major. My school's website for the medical physics program says they allow math majors but somehow that doesn’t give the reassurance I need. I am seriously considering doing a physics minor which will make me graduate a semester late..which is no biggy. If any of you have gone this route, I would really appreciate your advice. It will help me take some good questions to the advisors when school starts.

Thanks a bunch.
:smile:

Again, this thread my be useful to you.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

Medical physics normally deals with the medical side of radiation-based physics for treatment of certain medical conditions (primarily cancers). It involves assisting the physician in treatment planning to ensure that radiation doses are enough to kill the cancer cells while minimizing damage to healthy cells. At Ohio State Univeristy, their medical physics program is a residency program requiring at least a masters degree, usually in physics, health physics, or some kind of medical or biological discipline (some medical doctors go through it as well). I can't speak for other medical physics programs about their requirements, however.

If you only need one semester to pick up a second major in physics, you've probably already taken enough physics classes to make you attractive to a medical physics program. Look around at a couple programs and see what the requirements are.

daveb, my school offers a M.Sc. in Medical Physics which is then followed by a 2 year clerkship. I will most likely pursue the minor in Physics to obtain some lab work under my belt and the core courses required to obtain a good base for the GRE. However, I will have to steer away from most of the harder pure math courses and take some easier applied math courses so I can go all out on the physics courses which will be beneficial anyway. Hopefully, the advisors can help me actually plan this out. Thanks for the feedback guys.

1. What is the difference between a B.Sc. in Math and a Physics graduate degree?

A B.Sc. in Math typically covers a broad range of mathematical topics, while a Physics graduate degree focuses specifically on the principles and applications of physics. In a B.Sc. in Math program, students may take courses in areas such as calculus, algebra, and statistics, while a Physics graduate degree program may include courses in topics such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. Can I pursue a Physics graduate degree with a B.Sc. in Math?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Physics graduate degree with a B.Sc. in Math. Many graduate programs in physics accept students with a strong background in mathematics, as the two fields are closely related. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in physics and other science courses in order to be successful in a Physics graduate program.

3. What skills from a B.Sc. in Math are useful for a Physics graduate program?

A B.Sc. in Math provides a strong foundation in analytical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical modeling. These skills are highly transferable to a Physics graduate program, as they are essential for understanding and solving complex physical problems. Additionally, a background in advanced mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, is beneficial for understanding the mathematical concepts used in physics.

4. Are there any specific courses or experiences I should have before applying to a Physics graduate program?

It is recommended to have taken courses in physics, as well as other science courses such as chemistry and biology. Additionally, research experience in a physics-related field can strengthen your application and provide valuable hands-on experience in the field. If your B.Sc. in Math program does not offer courses in physics, you may want to consider taking some additional courses or participating in a physics-related research project before applying to a graduate program.

5. What career opportunities are available with a Physics graduate degree?

A Physics graduate degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government, or private industry. Graduates may also find positions in engineering, data analysis, or teaching. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained through a Physics graduate program are highly sought after in many industries and can open up a wide range of career paths.