Static friction preventing block from sliding

In summary: So if the coefficient of friction is .3, then the minimum force needed is F = (.3*20kg)/(.3*50 degrees) = 8.33N.
malta

Homework Statement

If the coefficient os static friction between the incline and block is .3, then what is the minimum force,F, needed to prevent the block from sliding?
m=20kg theta= 50 degrees

Homework Equations

Normal force= mgcosx
Fs= uk mgcosx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this this for the perpendicular force (up the ramp) but I can't seem to figure out how to do it for thr parallel force.

Physics news on Phys.org
malta said:

Homework Statement

If the coefficient os static friction between the incline and block is .3, then what is the minimum force,F, needed to prevent the block from sliding?
m=20kg theta= 50 degrees

Homework Equations

Normal force= mgcosx
Fs= uk mgcosx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this this for the perpendicular force (up the ramp) but I can't seem to figure out how to do it for thr parallel force.

I assume that you drew yourself a diagram with a coordinate system that has its x-axis parallel to the inclined plane and its y-axis perpendicular to the plane. Then, what is the force due to gravity acting to move the block down the plane? What is the frictional force acting to oppose the motion down the plane? What is the condition on the sum of all forces along the plane so that the block does not move?

Fore due to gravity is mgsinx and the frictional force = (coefficient of fiction)(mgCosx)
And the condition on all forces along the plane so that the block doesn't move has to equal to zero

But I can't seem to get what to set equal to what

Last edited:
anyone? I am doing a test review for a test tomorrow so this would greatly help me

malta said:
Fore due to gravity is mgsinx and the frictional force = (coefficient of fiction)(mgCosx)
And the condition on all forces along the plane so that the block doesn't move has to equal to zero

But I can't seem to get what to set equal to what

You have the right parts.

Draw a diagram and add the forces that need to make it be static.

ok so
F + mgcosx= N
(friction)N= mgSinx

So F = (mgSinx)/(friction) - mgCosx

There we go, thanks again

malta said:
ok so
F + mgcosx= N
(friction)N= mgSinx

So F = (mgSinx)/(friction) - mgCosx

There we go, thanks again

Not exactly.

F + μmgcosθ = mgsinθ

You only need to supply force in excess of what friction alone will not.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is the resistance between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other.

2. How does static friction prevent a block from sliding?

When a block is placed on a surface, there is a force of gravity acting on it, trying to make it slide down. However, the atoms on the surface of the block and the surface it is resting on create a force called static friction, which acts in the opposite direction and prevents the block from sliding.

3. What factors affect the strength of static friction?

The strength of static friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and the normal force exerted on the object. Rougher surfaces and a higher normal force will result in a higher static friction force.

4. What happens when the force applied to the block exceeds the maximum static friction force?

If the force applied to the block is greater than the maximum static friction force, the block will overcome the static friction and start to slide. This is known as the point of static friction being exceeded.

5. Can static friction ever be larger than the force applied?

No, the maximum static friction force can never be larger than the force applied. If an external force is applied that is greater than the maximum static friction force, the object will start to move.