Static Friction Question — A wood block sliding on a tabletop

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a physics problem involving finding the force of static friction. They mention that they are unsure how to start and that they have studied about the subject for about a week. They also ask for suggestions on how to solve the problem and provide information about their estimated value for Fn. They are then corrected on their calculation and asked if they are still working on the problem.
physicsstudent111
Homework Statement
A 4.0 kg block of wood (m 1 ) sits on a level table. A string is tied to the wood and runs over a
frictionless pulley to a hanging object (as shown below). The greatest mass that can be hung
from the string (m 2 ) without moving the block of wood is 1.8 kg. Calculate the coefficient of
static frictions between the block of wood and the table.
Relevant Equations
F=uFn
Fg=Fn
I have no idea how to start this other than that I think that Fn is 17.64N and Fnet is 0. But I don't have the mew, so I am not sure how I am going to get the force of static friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!
Please, tell us about what and for how long you have studied about this subject.

About a week. Do you have any suggestions for this question?

physicsstudent111 said:
About a week. Do you have any suggestions for this question?
Draw a free body diagram (FBD) for the block. They are the cat's mew for problems of this kind.

Likes bob012345, berkeman and Lnewqban
What is Fn in that equation?
Show us how did you estimate that value of 17.64 N, please.

I assumed that Force of gravity is equal to Fn. So I did 1.8kg(9.80m/s(down))=17.64N. But I think this is wrong

Yes, you have calculated the weight of block #2, but that one is hanging in the air (no friction there).

pulley_prob_3.png

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is the force that must be overcome in order for an object to start moving.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome for an object to start moving, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion.

3. Why does a wood block sliding on a tabletop experience static friction?

A wood block sliding on a tabletop experiences static friction because the microscopic roughness of the surfaces of the block and the tabletop create interlocking points that resist the motion of the block.

4. How is the magnitude of static friction determined?

The magnitude of static friction is determined by the coefficient of static friction, which is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces of the objects are and how much force is needed to overcome the interlocking points between them.

5. What factors can affect the amount of static friction between a wood block and a tabletop?

The amount of static friction between a wood block and a tabletop can be affected by the weight of the block, the surface area of contact between the block and the tabletop, and the coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces.