Why is Gaussian Packet the lower limit?

In summary, the uncertainty principle states that the expectation value of a hermitian operator is greater than the expectation value of an anti-hermitian operator.
kokolovehuh
Dear all:
When I was just reading about how Gaussian wave packets allow us to derive(because it has) the lowest limit on uncertainty. So what would be the (mathmetical?) derivation to just obtain that limit before proving/identifying that it's true for Gaussian packet?

Physics news on Phys.org
You really just need the Schwarz Inequality and some basic linear algebra over [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. For a derivation of the uncertainty relations see Sakurai for instance.

I guess it is easier said than done ;|
Could you type it up or put on a link for the proof? I'm lost.

The momentum and position wave functions are basically Fourier transforms of each other, with a factor of [itex]1 / \sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}[/itex] thrown in:

[tex]\phi(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} {\psi(x) e^{-ipx/\hbar} dx}[/tex]

[tex]\psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} {\phi(p) e^{+ipx/\hbar} dp}[/tex]

There is a general uncertainty relation that applies to functions that are Fourier transforms of each other, see the third equation of the section "Uncertainty Principle" here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform#Uncertainty_principle

You can presumably find the proof in a textbook or perhaps a Web site about Fourier transforms.

[added] Aha, here's one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle_for_the_short-time_Fourier_transform#Proof_of_the_uncertainty_principle

Unfortunately the notation is different on the two pages. I leave it as an exercise to the student to make them consistent, and perform the change of variables to x and p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I won't do it for you, but I'll certainly set it up for you. The Schwarz Inequality [itex](a|a)(b|b)\geq |(a|b)|^2[/itex]. Then let [itex] \Delta A=A-(|A|)[/itex] and set [itex]|a)=\Delta A|)[/itex] and let [itex]|b)=\Delta B|)[/itex]. Then note that the expectation values of hermitian operators are real and the expectation values of anti-hermitian operators are purely imaginary. Give this a shot.

Last edited:
thanks, you guys!

1. Why is the Gaussian packet considered the lower limit in physics?

The Gaussian packet is considered the lower limit in physics because it represents the minimum uncertainty in both position and momentum of a quantum particle. This is due to the fact that the Gaussian wavefunction has a well-defined mean and standard deviation, making it the most compact and localized wavefunction possible.

2. How does the Gaussian packet compare to other wavefunctions?

Compared to other wavefunctions, the Gaussian packet has a narrower width and faster decay rate, meaning it is more localized and has a higher peak intensity. This makes it a better representation of a particle in the classical limit, where it behaves like a point-like object with definite position and momentum.

3. Can the Gaussian packet be used to describe any type of particle?

Yes, the Gaussian packet can be used to describe any type of particle, whether it is massive or massless, bosonic or fermionic. This is because the Gaussian wavefunction is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that applies to all particles.

4. What are the limitations of the Gaussian packet?

The main limitation of the Gaussian packet is that it assumes the particle is in a well-defined state with a definite position and momentum. This breaks down in scenarios where the particle is in a superposition of multiple states, such as in the case of entangled particles or in systems with strong interactions.

5. Is the Gaussian packet ever used in practical applications?

Yes, the Gaussian packet is commonly used in practical applications, such as in quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It is also used in experiments to study the behavior of particles in different energy levels and potential wells, as it provides a good approximation for the wavefunction of a particle in these scenarios.