3 problems on Rotational Dynamics

In summary: You need to convert this to kJ. It looks like you did this below. But it is easier to just use 7.7175 J and then convert to kJ at the end.In summary, on this assignment, the student had some questions on three problems. These problems involved calculating the new angular speed of a playground merry-go-round when a child hops onto it, finding the angular momentum and fraction of kinetic energy converted in a collision between a wooden block and a bullet, and determining the new angular momentum, speeds, rotational energy, and work done in a system of two astronauts connected by a rope.
chavic
On this assignment I could do most of the work easily, I just have some questions on three problems

3. Homework Statement
A playground merry-go-round of radius R = 2.00 m has a moment of inertia I = 270 kg·m2 and is rotating at 9.0 rev/min about a frictionless vertical axle. Facing the axle, a 26.0 kg child hops onto the merry-go-round and manages to sit down on its edge. What is the new angular speed of the merry-go-round?3. Relevant equations
L=rmvsin[\theta]
I=.5MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex]= v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use conservation of momentum.

I=.5MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Solve for M (mass of merry-go-round)
I/.5R[tex]^{2}[/tex]=M
M=135 kg

Angular velocity
Circumference of merry-go-round=12.5664 m
12.5664 * 9
Initial velocity=113.0976

Initial Momentum
L=rmv
=2(135)(133.09760)
Li=30536.352

So final momentum should be the same
L=rmv
v=L/rm
30536.352/ 2(162)=94.248

This is wrong
--------------------------------------------------------------------​
4. Homework Statement
A wooden block of mass M resting on a frictionless, horizontal surface is attached to a rigid rod of length and of negligible mass. The rod is pivoted at the other end. A bullet of mass m traveling parallel to the horizontal surface and perpendicular to the rod with speed v hits the block and becomes embedded in it.
p11-39.gif
(a) What is the angular momentum of the bullet- block system? (For the following answers, use M for the mass M, m for the mass m, and L for the length .)

(b) What fraction of the original kinetic energy is converted into internal energy in the collision?

4. Relevant equations
? If someone could just point me in the right direction4. The attempt at a solution
5. Homework Statement
Two astronauts, each having a mass of 70.0 kg, are connected by a 9.5 m rope of negligible mass. They are isolated in space, orbiting their center of mass at speeds of 5.50 m/s.
p11-59.gif
(a) Treating the astronauts as particles, calculate the magnitude of the angular momentum.

(b) Calculate the rotational energy of the system.

(c) By pulling on the rope, one of the astronauts shortens the distance between them to 5.00 m. What is the new angular momentum of the system?

(d) What are the astronauts' new speeds?

(e) What is the new rotational energy of the system?

(f) How much work does the astronaut do in shortening the rope?

5. Relevant equations
L=mrvsin[\theta]
KE=.5I[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
Work=[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE
I=MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex]= v/r5. The attempt at a solution

I have the answers for a-e, but I'm having a hard time with f
A=3657.5 kg·m[tex]^{2}[/tex]/s
B=2117.5193 J
C=3657.5 kg·m[tex]^{2}[/tex]/s
D=10.5 m/s
E=7717.5 J

*fixed momentums

So F should be
Work=[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE
or 7717.5-2117.5193=5599.9807
But this is the wrong answer

*I figured it out, its supposed to be in Kj

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hit post too soon on accident, here is the edit.

Some suggestions:

chavic said:
On this assignment I could do most of the work easily, I just have some questions on three problems

3. Homework Statement
A playground merry-go-round of radius R = 2.00 m has a moment of inertia I = 270 kg·m2 and is rotating at 9.0 rev/min about a frictionless vertical axle. Facing the axle, a 26.0 kg child hops onto the merry-go-round and manages to sit down on its edge. What is the new angular speed of the merry-go-round?

3. Relevant equations
L=rmvsin[\theta]
Consider the angular momentum of a rigid body, [tex] L=I \omega [/tex]. [tex]L = mvrsin\theta [/tex] is for a particle
I=.5MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex]= v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use conservation of momentum.

I=.5MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
Solve for M (mass of merry-go-round)
You don't need to find the mass of the merry-go-round since you've been given the moment of inertia of the merry-go-round.
I/.5R[tex]^{2}[/tex]=M
M=135 kg

Angular velocity
Circumference of merry-go-round=12.5664 m
12.5664 * 9
Initial velocity=113.0976

Initial Momentum
L=rmv
=2(135)(133.09760)
Li=30536.352

So final momentum should be the same
L=rmv
v=L/rm
30536.352/ 2(162)=94.248
Remember that I(final) will be the sum of the two objects. So I(final) = I(merry-go-round) + I(child). Assume the child is a point mass.
This is wrong

4. Homework Statement
A wooden block of mass M resting on a frictionless, horizontal surface is attached to a rigid rod of length and of negligible mass. The rod is pivoted at the other end. A bullet of mass m traveling parallel to the horizontal surface and perpendicular to the rod with speed v hits the block and becomes embedded in it.
p11-39.gif

(a) What is the angular momentum of the bullet- block system? (For the following answers, use M for the mass M, m for the mass m, and L for the length .)

(b) What fraction of the original kinetic energy is converted into internal energy in the collision?

4. Relevant equations
? If someone could just point me in the right direction
Start with the conservation of momentum of the collision between the bullet and the block. You need to figure out an expression for the velocity after the collision. Then consider the angular momentum of the block + bullet about the pivot point.

4. The attempt at a solution

5. Homework Statement
Two astronauts, each having a mass of 70.0 kg, are connected by a 9.5 m rope of negligible mass. They are isolated in space, orbiting their center of mass at speeds of 5.50 m/s.
p11-59.gif

(a) Treating the astronauts as particles, calculate the magnitude of the angular momentum.

(b) Calculate the rotational energy of the system.

(c) By pulling on the rope, one of the astronauts shortens the distance between them to 5.00 m. What is the new angular momentum of the system?

(d) What are the astronauts' new speeds?

(e) What is the new rotational energy of the system?

(f) How much work does the astronaut do in shortening the rope?

5. Relevant equations
L=mrvsin[\theta]
KE=.5I[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]
Work=[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE
I=MR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex]= v/r
I would have used [tex] L=I \omega [/tex]. Remember that I will be the sum of the two astronauts. Although your way should work for this.

5. The attempt at a solution

I have the answers for a-e, but I'm having a hard time with f
A=3675 kg·m[tex]^{2}[/tex]/s
B=2117.5193 J
C=3675 kg·m[tex]^{2}[/tex]/s
D=10.5 m/s
E=7717.5 J
I get slightly different numbers than you. Can you show how you got the 3675?
So F should be
Work=[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE This should work.
or 7717.5-2117.5193=5599.9807
But this is the wrong answer

3.Angular velocity w = 2*pi*9/60 rad/s
Angular momentum = Iw Using this try again.
4.Using conservation of momentum find the velocity of the combined system of block and bullet. Then find the angular momenum. You can find the KE of bullet and bullet-block system.

OK, for #5 I was being dyslexic when I found angular momentum and switched the 5 and the 7 at the end, and I was doing the right thing for finding the work done, I just forgot to convert to KJ.
I'm working on the rest now.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning. It involves studying the forces and torques that act on an object, and how these affect its rotational motion.

2. What are the three main problems in rotational dynamics?

The three main problems in rotational dynamics are: finding the moment of inertia of an object, determining the angular acceleration of an object, and determining the torque acting on an object.

3. How is rotational dynamics different from linear dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is different from linear dynamics in that it involves studying the motion of objects that are rotating or spinning, while linear dynamics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. Additionally, rotational dynamics uses different equations and principles, such as moment of inertia and angular velocity, compared to linear dynamics which uses concepts like mass and velocity.

4. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass around the object's axis of rotation. The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change the object's rotational motion.

5. How is angular acceleration related to torque?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the torque acting on an object and inversely proportional to the object's moment of inertia. This means that the greater the torque applied, the greater the angular acceleration, and the harder it is to change the object's rotational motion.