Stretching of a rotating spring

L0r3n20
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: Are the k and the w linked?

Yesterday I came across this problem:

A mass is attached to a spring and the system rotates (one of the spring end is fixed) in an horizontal plane. Given the mass m, the value of k, the length of the spring l_0 and the angular velocity w, compute the stretching.

I worked out the formula, which turns out to be

##x = \frac{ m \omega^2 \ell_0}{k - m\omega^2}##

(Sorry I don't how to implement latex code)
Now the question: why can't I choose ANY value for w? In principle, the faster the rotation, the longer the stretching... In this case it seems there's a limit for w (which is suspiciously equal to the value of the pulsation for mass-spring). Can someone explain why are these quantities linked?

• Love
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you upload a diagram of the problem? It's a little confusing how a mass in a horizontal plane will stretch a rotating/torsion spring. Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit Window.

Also, I'll send you some hints on how to use LaTeX via PM now. (see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window)

Did you use F = - kX?

berkeman said:
Can you upload a diagram of the problem? It's a little confusing how a mass in a horizontal plane will stretch a rotating/torsion spring. Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit Window.

Also, I'll send you some hints on how to use LaTeX via PM now. (see the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window)

Sure, here it is! And thank you for your pm! :)
17055918330641517447878463308115.jpg

Likes Delta2
gleem said:
Did you use F = - kX?

Yes I did. I set the elastic force equal to the centripetal force.

I agree with your solution as long as ##l_0## is the natural length of the spring.

What happens is that the spring cant provide the necessary force after that breakpoint because the centripetal force grows by ##m\omega^2 x## while the spring force grows only by ##kx## so if ##\omega## becomes too big such that ##m\omega^2>k## there can never be ##m\omega^2x=kx## (it will be ##m\omega^2x>kx##, for any x and of course certainly not the even worst condition ##m\omega^2(l_0+x)=kx##.

Likes L0r3n20
L0r3n20 said:
Yes I did. I set the elastic force equal to the centripetal force.
I mean [itex] \: \: m(l_{0}+x)\omega ^{2}=(-1)kx[/itex]

There is no difference in the application of Hooke's Law between this situation and a vertical spring with a weight attached.

gleem said:
I mean [itex] \: \: m(l_{0}+x)\omega ^{2}=(-1)kx[/itex]
This is not correct, for x positive, because we know that the centripetal force is in the same direction with the spring force, this equation implies they have opposite directions.

For x negative I think we cannot allow negative x for this problem because then the spring force becomes with outward direction while the centripetal force is always inward.

Delta2 said:
This is not correct, for x positive, because we know that the centripetal force is in the same direction with the spring force, this equation implies they have opposite directions.
Duh, I should have also noted the problem with the behavior of x with ω :headbang:

Likes Delta2

1. How does the stretching of a rotating spring differ from a stationary spring?

When a spring is rotating, it experiences both stretching and torsional forces. The stretching of a rotating spring is a combination of the tension caused by the stretching of the spring itself and the torsional stress caused by the rotation.

2. What factors affect the amount of stretching in a rotating spring?

The amount of stretching in a rotating spring is influenced by the spring constant, the angular velocity of rotation, the moment of inertia of the spring, and the applied torque.

3. Can a rotating spring reach a point of maximum stretch?

Yes, a rotating spring can reach a point of maximum stretch where the combined tension and torsional stress cause the spring to reach its limit and potentially deform or break.

4. How can the stretching of a rotating spring be calculated?

The stretching of a rotating spring can be calculated using equations that take into account the spring constant, the angular velocity of rotation, the moment of inertia of the spring, and the applied torque.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the stretching of a rotating spring?

Understanding the stretching of a rotating spring is important in various engineering fields, such as mechanical and aerospace engineering, where springs are used in rotating systems like engines, turbines, and suspension systems.