Geometry/Discrete Math Velocity Vectors Help

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the wind speed of an airplane that is heading due south with an air speed of 480km/h. Measurements from the ground indicate a ground speed of 528 km/h at 15 degrees east of south. The conversation includes a diagram of the problem, suggestions for correcting angles, and using cosine law to solve for the wind speed. The final solution is posted for others to see.
Hollysmoke
I'm working on this problem and it's frustrated me and I was wondering if I could get a spot of help on it:

An airplane heads due south with an air speed of 480km/h. Measurements made from the ground indicate that the plane's ground speed is 528 km/h is 528 km/h at 15 degrees east of south. Calculate the wind speed.

I have a diagram of what I worked out so maybe someone could show me what I did right and what I did wrong, that'd be nice.

http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/6442/diag0ia.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got your plane heading 15 deg south of east, not 15 deg east of south!
15 deg east of south is at -75 degrees( that's 75 degrees clockwise from direction of the positive x-axis)

Okay thanks. I'll try it again and see what I come up with.

I would suggest using -j (-y) for S, and i (+x) for E.

Consider the ground speed as the true speed. Resolve the ground speed vector into its S and E components. The air speed is 480 km/h, so the air must have a southward component to carry the plane with a faster ground speed.

What are the S and E components of the ground speed vector?

I figured it out. The problem were in the angles, so I redrew it like this:

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/842/diag3tf.png

Then I used cosine law to get the wind speed. Just thought I'd post the solution so people would know :D

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a velocity vector in geometry/discrete math?

A velocity vector in geometry/discrete math is a mathematical representation of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It includes both the magnitude and direction of the object's velocity.

2. How is a velocity vector represented?

A velocity vector is typically represented as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the velocity and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the velocity.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in geometry/discrete math?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to the rate of change of an object's position over time, while velocity is a vector quantity that refers to the rate of change of an object's position and its direction over time.

4. How are velocity vectors used in geometry/discrete math?

Velocity vectors are used in geometry/discrete math to model the motion of objects, to calculate the rate of change of an object's position, and to analyze the direction and speed of an object's movement.

5. Can velocity vectors be added or subtracted in geometry/discrete math?

Yes, velocity vectors can be added or subtracted in geometry/discrete math using vector addition and subtraction rules. This allows for the calculation of the net velocity of an object when multiple velocity vectors are acting on it.