Compressing a gas; Where does the energy come from?

In summary, the compression of a gas in a heat pump is a separate process from the addition of heat. The compression step provides energy to raise the temperature of the gas, while the heat addition step involves taking heat from a source. In the case of a heat pump with a COP of 4, the compressor supplies 25% of the required heat energy, with the remaining 75% coming from the heat source. The reason for this is that compression requires external energy, as work is done to push the gas molecules closer together.
smjpl
Hi all,

Question about compressing a gas. When you compress a gas it heats up. Does the compression supply a certain amount of energy to raise the temperature or does the compression merely raise the temperature using the energy that was already present in the gas?

What I am getting at is the compression cycle in a heat pump. How much heat energy is supplied by the source and how much is supplied by the energy input?

I was under the impression that the heat pump took all of the heat energy it needed from its source but needed electrical energy to compress the gas to initiate a phase change allowing it to release the heat.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The compression step and the heat addition step are completely different/separate processes, so just keep them separate: when a gas comes out of a compressor, it is hotter and at a higher temp than when it came in. You might say the compressor squeezed some sensible heat out of the gas, but regardless of how it is worded, the energy to do that came from the compressor.

This is what I was getting at but I have since found the answer:

If a 4 kW heat pump (for heating) has a COP of 4 (COP => 1 unit in/4 units out = .25), do you size the collector for 3 kW or 4 kW? Does 100% of the heat get taken from the source and you need 25% electrical energy to convert it into usable heat or does the ground supply 75% of the heat and the compressor supplies the other 25%.

From doing more research I believe you do size it for 3 kW. That the compressor apparently does supply 25% of the heat required for the system. I am still a bit unsure on the (physics) reason why but I don't really need to know why. If anyone can explain it i would still like to know.

Cheers for your response.

Compression supplies external energy into the system. Work is force over distance, so it takes work to compress a gas. The force on a piston comes from gas molecules randomly bouncing off the piston. If you push the piston in, the gas molecules will reflect with greater energy than they started with.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. When you compress a gas, the energy comes from the work done on the gas by an external force. This work increases the internal energy of the gas, causing the gas molecules to move faster and collide more frequently, resulting in an increase in temperature.

In a heat pump, the energy for compression comes from the electrical input. This input is used to power the compressor, which compresses the gas and increases its temperature. The heat energy released during the phase change is then transferred to the desired location.

It is important to note that the heat pump does not create new energy, it simply transfers it from one location to another. The amount of heat energy supplied by the source and the electrical input depends on the efficiency of the heat pump and the external conditions.

I hope this helps clarify the role of compression and energy transfer in a heat pump. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

1. What is the process of compressing a gas?

Compressing a gas involves reducing the volume of a gas by applying pressure to it, which causes the molecules to move closer together and increase the density of the gas.

2. Where does the energy come from when compressing a gas?

The energy used to compress a gas comes from an external source, such as a compressor or pump, which applies pressure to the gas and increases its energy potential.

3. Can energy be created when compressing a gas?

No, energy cannot be created during the process of compressing a gas. The energy used to compress the gas is simply transferred from the external source to the gas.

4. What happens to the temperature of a gas when it is compressed?

When a gas is compressed, its temperature increases due to the increased energy and movement of its molecules. This is known as the adiabatic heating effect.

5. Is it possible to compress a gas without adding energy?

No, it is not possible to compress a gas without adding energy. In order to decrease the volume of a gas, energy must be applied to increase the pressure and force the molecules closer together.