Complex Exponential Integration: Sin vs. Cos?

• Thread starter aks_sky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discussed the integration of e^-x sin (ax) from 0 to infinity and whether it would be the same as solving for e^-x cos (ax). It was determined that there is a difference in the answer, but the technique is similar. It was also mentioned that e^(iax) can be used to represent sin (ax), and taking the imaginary part of the answer would give the solution for e^-x sin (ax).
aks_sky
∫_0^∞ e^-x sin (ax) dx

integrating from 0 to infinity for e^-x sin (ax)

i was wondering that if i use complex exponentials for this will it be the same as solving for ∫_0^∞ e^-x cos (ax) dx. Will it make any difference if there is sin instead of cos because i know how to solve for cos (ax) but i don't know if it makes any difference if the cos is replaced by a sin.. does it make any difference?

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
It makes a difference in the sense that the answer is different, yes. The technique is pretty much the same, if that's what you mean.

yup, because if i use cos (ax) i can replace it with e ^ i(ax) because i can use the complex exponential there. But what do i use for sin (ax).. i will just do what i did for cos (ax)

∫_0^∞ e^-x. e^i(ax) ... (((since ∫_0^∞ e-x (cos ax + isin ax) dx)))

Therefore we get:

∫_0^∞ e^-(1-ia)x dx

then i can go ahead from there to get 1/ 1 + a^2... now the only thing i am confused with is that this is for the complex exp. for cos (ax) what will it be for sin (ax)

Are you claiming that [itex]\cos ax+i \sin ax=\cos a x[/itex]? This is of course not true. Try [itex]\sin x=Im(e^{i x})[/itex].

aks_sky said:
yup, because if i use cos (ax) i can replace it with e ^ i(ax) because i can use the complex exponential there.
You can't just "replace it with e^i(ax)". e^(iax)= cos(x)+ i sin(x). You can replace cos(x) with e^i(ax) and then just take the real part of the answer. And, of course, with sin(ax) you can replace it with e^i(ax) and take only the imaginary part of the answer.

But what do i use for sin (ax).. i will just do what i did for cos (ax)

∫_0^∞ e^-x. e^i(ax) ... (((since ∫_0^∞ e-x (cos ax + isin ax) dx)))

Therefore we get:

∫_0^∞ e^-(1-ia)x dx

then i can go ahead from there to get 1/ 1 + a^2... now the only thing i am confused with is that this is for the complex exp. for cos (ax) what will it be for sin (ax)

ahhh i get it.. sweet.. thank u

1. What are complex exponentials and how are they different from regular exponentials?

Complex exponentials are mathematical expressions of the form eix, where x is a complex number. Unlike regular exponentials, which only involve real numbers, complex exponentials involve imaginary numbers (numbers that involve the square root of -1). These imaginary numbers allow for more complex and intricate calculations.

2. What are some practical applications of using complex exponentials?

Complex exponentials are commonly used in the fields of engineering, physics, and mathematics to model and solve problems involving oscillations, such as in AC circuits and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing and control systems.

3. Can complex exponentials be written in different forms?

Yes, complex exponentials can be written in both polar form (as re) and rectangular form (as a + bi). These forms are equivalent and can be converted to one another using trigonometric identities.

4. How do you perform operations with complex exponentials?

To perform operations with complex exponentials, you can use the rules of exponents and properties of complex numbers. For multiplication and division, you can use the polar form and the properties of exponents to simplify the expression. For addition and subtraction, you can convert the expressions to rectangular form and then combine like terms.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex exponentials?

One limitation of using complex exponentials is that they can only be used to represent periodic functions, as they involve imaginary numbers. Additionally, complex exponentials can be more difficult to work with compared to regular exponentials, and may require more advanced mathematical knowledge to use effectively.