Arrangement of Other Sciences subforum?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, the Other Sciences forum has been rearranged and Earth Sciences has been left at the bottom.
bomba923
arrangement of "Other Sciences" subforum?

Hey, I noticed that the subforum "Other Sciences" (Chemistry, Biology, Mind & Brain Sciences, Social Science, Earth) has been rearranged. Before, it has been:
*Biology
*Chemistry
*Earth
*Social Sciences
*Mind & Brain Sciences
-------------
And now it is:
*Chemistry
*Biology
*Mind & Brain Sciences
*Social Sciences
*Earth
---------------------------
-Don't worry...I'm not complaining :redface:
(I'm just curious as to why it has been rearranged :shy:)

So, why have the "Other Sciences" been rearranged in the subforum?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a guess: the Brain part of Mind & Brain Sciences; there's a large overlap with biology, so they wanted those two forums to be listed closer together. I think they also end up talking about biology a lot in M&BS (Hah, M&BS).

I assumed it was in order of which were most frequently used.
Note Earth sciences lingering at the bottom (:frown:)

matthyaouw said:
I assumed it was in order of which were most frequently used.
Note Earth sciences lingering at the bottom (:frown:)
I'll visit and ask some questions. What do you know?

honestrosewater said:
I'll visit and ask some questions. What do you know?
Thanks, but don't feel obliged to visit just for me.

honestrosewater said:
I have a guess: the Brain part of Mind & Brain Sciences; there's a large overlap with biology, so they wanted those two forums to be listed closer together. I think they also end up talking about biology a lot in M&BS (Hah, M&BS).

Yes, that's the reason for the rearrangement. M&B overlaps with both biology and social sciences (psychology), so it made for a more logical progression to nest it between the two.

While we're at it, we've been discussing it in the mentor's forum, but I see no reason not to open it up for discussion here...does anyone have a better suggestion for a name for the "Other Sciences" forum? It sounds rather bland and somewhat dismissive to call it "other" sciences, but we're having trouble thinking of something snazzier that encompasses all the topics included in it.

Just another thing pengwuino can add to his list :smile:

You can combine Mind and Brain Sciences with Earth Sciences and call it the Dirty Mind forum.

Moonbear said:
does anyone have a better suggestion for a name for the "Other Sciences" forum? It sounds rather bland and somewhat dismissive to call it "other" sciences, but we're having trouble thinking of something snazzier that encompasses all the topics included in it.

Perhaps using the term "Miscellaneous" or the abbreviated version "Misc." Since it is difficult to put them all into one category, a "Miscellaneous Sciences" forum would work.

Moonbear said:
Yes, that's the reason for the rearrangement. M&B overlaps with both biology and social sciences (psychology), so it made for a more logical progression to nest it between the two.
Yeah, beforehand the ordering of the forums was pretty much random. Now it roughly traces a path from reductive bases to emergent phenomena: from the chemistries of organic molecules emerges biology, from biological organisms emerges the brain and the mind, and from individual human minds/brains emerge societies and cultures.

As for how Earth science fits into all that, well, nothing's perfect and Earth science is a bit of a misfit we just tacked on at the end. Either that or the Earth emerges from economics, I can't remember which.

While we're at it, we've been discussing it in the mentor's forum, but I see no reason not to open it up for discussion here...does anyone have a better suggestion for a name for the "Other Sciences" forum? It sounds rather bland and somewhat dismissive to call it "other" sciences, but we're having trouble thinking of something snazzier that encompasses all the topics included in it.
Yes, the eternal crisis. Lately I'm thinking maybe "Random Stuff Sciences" or "Bigger Than A Breadbox Sciences"

hypnagogue said:
Yes, the eternal crisis. Lately I'm thinking maybe "Random Stuff Sciences" or "Bigger Than A Breadbox Sciences"
I was thinking more along the lines of "Too Cool and Good Looking for Penguwino Sciences." :biggrin: :devil:

1. What is the purpose of the "Arrangement of Other Sciences" subforum?

The purpose of this subforum is to discuss the organization and categorization of different scientific fields and disciplines outside of the traditional natural and physical sciences. This may include social sciences, humanities, and interdisciplinary studies.

2. How is this subforum different from other science-related forums?

This subforum focuses specifically on the arrangement and categorization of different scientific fields, rather than discussing specific topics or research within those fields. It is also unique in that it includes a wide range of sciences beyond just the natural and physical sciences.

3. Can anyone participate in discussions on this subforum?

Yes, anyone with an interest in the organization and categorization of scientific fields is welcome to participate in discussions on this subforum. However, it is important to follow the guidelines and rules set by the forum moderators to maintain respectful and productive discussions.

4. How can I contribute to the discussions on this subforum?

You can contribute by sharing your knowledge, opinions, and ideas about the arrangement of different scientific fields and disciplines. You can also ask questions and engage in discussions with other members to learn more about this topic.

5. Are there any specific guidelines for posting on this subforum?

Yes, it is important to follow the forum's general guidelines for respectful and productive discussions. Additionally, it is recommended to provide evidence and sources to support your arguments and to avoid posting irrelevant or off-topic content.