Pertaining to the New Chat Rules

• Thread starter AnTiFreeze3
  • Start date
In summary, the chat has been banned as a topic for discussion because it occasionally dominates and alienates others from talking. There is no blanket rule that nothing forum related can be discussed because there hasn't been an example of a topic that dominated chat like math. However, I think that prohibiting math and science discussions on a physics forum makes as much sense as going to a chat about food and demand that they don't talk about food.
Evo said:
See my above reponse to this.

The alternative being discussed is to just close chat and not have it anymore if it is this contentious and upsetting for members. That would be a shame. It is a nice way for members to get to know each other, which was the intent.
people come to a science chat-room expecting science chat, and there is already a good suggestion of being able to be in a multiple chat rooms, why don't you just take that suggestion ?

It is even more unreasonable to decide to close the chat because of a small issue like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
montadhar said:
people come to a science chat-room expecting science chat, and there is already a good suggestion of being able to be in a multiple chat rooms, why don't you just take that suggestion ?
This suggestion has been taken rest assured.

Ryan_m_b said:
This suggestion has been taken rest assured.
ok, great to know

What's funny is that people say they want science chat, yet they don't want to use the science chat room because they'll miss general discussion chat. :biggrin:

Evo said:
What's funny is that people say they want science chat, yet they don't want to use the science chat room because they'll miss general discussion chat. :biggrin:
So this is all your fault in the end for being so entertaining. For shame madame. For shame.

WannabeNewton said:
So this is all your fault in the end for being so entertaining. For shame madame. For shame.
Everything is my fault. :cry:

Evo said:

Nooooooooo, not everything is your fault! Most is your fault though, but not everything!

micromass said:
Nooooooooo, not everything is your fault! Most is your fault though, but not everything!

Actually, I've been thinking of an example that is not your fault, but I can't seem to find anything... I guess everything is your fault after all...

Evo said:
Including our impending divorce. I'm gettin chacha btw

WannabeNewton said:
I'm gettin chacha btw

That should get you a delicious soup.

WannabeNewton said:
Including our impending divorce. I'm gettin chacha btw
Divorce?? Why?

No, you can't have chacha, I love the little angry beast. :cry:

Evo said:
Divorce?? Why?
Just the way it has to be love. You know how it is.

Ben Niehoff said:
Chat also has a tendency to be dominated by a small number of people talking about the Food Network. I find it dreadfully boring, and stifles more interesting discussions. I think it would be best if such topics were kept out of chat.

No offense, but most of the people in the chat seem fine with just about any topic. If they didn't no one would come to the chat to begin with.

Yet people come back every Sunday so obviously people find it engaging. Just because a few outliers don't like specific topics, is a poor excuse to complain. If you don't like the chat why do you come to the chat? Chat rooms in general are not tailored to one specific topic its not a forum.

Obviously no one can like every topic, I am sure there are plenty of people who dislike any number of topics. Just because a a few people dislike the occasional topic not a good representation of the whole.

Do you get mad at fellow scientists if they bring up something not science related? A large amount of science is communication skills just like anything else. I would recommend expanding your field of vision.

Last edited:
MathWarrior said:
No offense, but most of the people in the chat seem fine with just about any topic. If they didn't no one would come to the chat to begin with.

Yet people come back every Sunday so obviously people find it engaging. Just because a few outliers don't like specific topics, is a poor excuse to complain. If you don't like the chat why do you come to the chat? Chat rooms in general are not tailored to one specific topic its not a forum.

Obviously no one can like every topic, I am sure there are plenty of people who dislike any number of topics. Just because a a few people dislike the occasional topic not a good representation of the whole.

Do you get mad at fellow scientists if they bring up something not science related? A large amount of science is communication skills just like anything else. I would recommend expanding your field of vision.

All of which make wonderful reasons not to ban discussions of math just because some people aren't interested in them (which is the point I've been arguing).

MathWarrior said:
No offense, but most of the people in the chat seem fine with just about any topic. If they didn't no one would come to the chat to begin with. ...

Ben Niehoff said:
All of which make wonderful reasons not to ban discussions of math ...
Don't mean to butt in here. I've been to New Years Eve celebration chats where the sherry was flowing. Just sayin'

Is there a rule that says only one topic at a time can be discussed between members in the chatroom? If not, why can't there just be multiple simultaneous conversations in the chatroom, one of which may or may not include technical math/physics chatting

For all intents and purposes, I see no reason to create multiple rooms to cater for each individual topic. Yes, there may be a major topic being discussed at one time, but if one is looking at each line type, you can see other things written in between. If a discussion wants to occur between two people, you have the option of private messaging.

I take general chat to be a chat pretty much about what springs to mind of the chatters. It need not be so strict and formal - but a lay back place to be in considering it coincides on a Sunday for most users.

This is very weird. I would expect even casual visitors to PF to be at least interested in Science and Math. It makes no sense to ban chats involving those topics.

It's like a car forum banning chats about cars or a religious forum banning discussions about God. Just plain weird.

If anyone's seriously alienated by such topics (which I doubt), then perhaps they're not exactly the target demographic for this forum.

Curious3141 said:
This is very weird. I would expect even casual visitors to PF to be at least interested in Science and Math. It makes no sense to ban chats involving those topics.

It's like a car forum banning chats about cars or a religious forum banning discussions about God. Just plain weird.

If anyone's seriously alienated by such topics (which I doubt), then perhaps they're not exactly the target demographic for this forum.
We're not banning math and science chat, there has been a science chat room since day one. I don't know who started that mistaken notion.

The issue is that people want to hold science and math discussions in the GD chat room.

I don't have a problem with that as long as it is

1) a spontaneous discussion between a few people.

2) Anyone can join in

3) it isn't replacing discussions that need to go into the math forum.

So far, IMO, the Math chats have been between a few people discussing specific things they enjoy. That is ok for chat, IMO. If it gets to the point that it's preventing regular chat, they can move to the science chat room, until the conversation dwindles.

Last edited:
I would say that this issue has been addressed thoroughly. I don't know if I have any authority since this is technically my thread, but I wouldn't be upset if someone locked it at this point :smile:

Evo said:
We're not banning math and science chat, there has been a science chat room since day one. I don't know who started the that mistaken notion.

I think that the issue is that banning math and science to science chat is pretty much equivalent to banning it in the entire chat. Nobody uses science chat. It's a cold, dark place. And it hasn't been cleaned in years.

I don't mind discussing other topics within a chat going on about Maths within the General Chat (GC). No one goes into the Science chat, because everyone gathers in GC; the option to be in both rooms at once can't be utilised as the current configuration does not permit it.

micromass said:
Nobody uses science chat. It's a cold, dark place. And it hasn't been cleaned in years.

Perhaps it is a time to assign cleaning it and putting a light on as a duty to one of our Mentors :devil: