Is Diffraction a Result of Wavefront Evolution?

In summary: Okay, this is a bit complicated, so let me summarize. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of single slit diffraction and whether only two rays get diffracted at the ends of the slit, as stated by the professor. The conversation goes on to explain that diffraction is a wave phenomenon and can be explained without invoking the particulate nature of light. It also mentions the possibility of only two light waves getting diffracted at the ends of the slit, but this would mean that all other contributions from the slit interfere destructively.
prashant3507
In single slit diffraction, my professor says that only 2 rays get diffracted. Both at the 2 ends of the slit. no other rays are diffracted. Is this true??:confused:
What i think is all rays in the slit get diffracted and not only the 2 rays at the 2 ends of the slit.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
prashant3507 said:
In single slit diffraction, my professor says that only 2 rays get diffracted. Both at the 2 ends of the slit. no other rays are diffracted. Is this true??:confused:

You must (a) have misunderstood him or (b) he expressed himself badly or (c) he wanted to illustrate something peculiar and you missed somehow the point and got this out of context or (d) he doesn't know what he's talking about.

prashant3507 said:
What i think is all rays in the slit get diffracted and not only the 2 rays at the 2 ends of the slit.

He was right. Only the photons that "see" or "touch" the slit are diffracted. There is no physical basis for diffraction of a photon that passes through the slits without touching one or both of the edges of the slits.

vanesch said:
You must (a) have misunderstood him or (b) he expressed himself badly or (c) he wanted to illustrate something peculiar and you missed somehow the point and got this out of context or (d) he doesn't know what he's talking about.

no i didn't misunderstood him, i even questioned him when the lecture was over. He emphasized on his point that in single slit only 2 rays at the end of slit get diffracted..

mn4j said:
He was right. Only the photons that "see" or "touch" the slit are diffracted. There is no physical basis for diffraction of a photon that passes through the slits without touching one or both of the edges of the slits.

hey but diffraction deals with the wave nature of light. Then how can u explain it using photons??:confused:

mn4j said:

Because photons are of course mechanical bullets...

Think of diffraction as a change in the path of rays. They do not reflect (i.e., they do not obey Snell's law); they simply "diffract", following different paths of propagation. On the other side, each diffraction point gives rise to a secondary wavefront that interfere constructivelly and destructivelly with each other according to their phases at the slit. And when they are measured, each interference component of the wavefield gives rise to a pattern. That is what the diffraction experiment tell us.

prashant3507 said:
hey but diffraction deals with the wave nature of light. Then how can u explain it using photons??:confused:
You're absolutely correct, Diffraction is a wave phenomenon and can be explained perfectly well without invoking the particulate nature of light.

I think I understand the OP's question and I think it involves a particular derivation of the minima in a single slit diffraction pattern that involves calculating the path difference between the centre of the slit and one edge.

This particular derivation works because of symmetry. If you divide the slit into a number of "slitlets" (essentially invoking the Huygen's principle) and look at the phase contribution of each "slitlet", you can see that, in the case of a minimum, the phase contributions from the "slitlets" can be canceled in a pairwise fashion.

I have a feeling something was lost in translation between you and your professor. No professor would use the phrase "rays get diffracted", because ray optics implicitly ignores wave-like behaviour like diffraction.

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
You're absolutely correct, Diffraction is a wave phenomenon and can be explained perfectly well without invoking the particulate nature of light.

I think I understand the OP's question and I think it involves a particular derivation of the minima in a single slit diffraction pattern that involves calculating the path difference between the centre of the slit and one edge.

This particular derivation works because of symmetry. If you divide the slit into a number of "slitlets" (essentially invoking the Huygen's principle) and look at the phase contribution of each "slitlet", you can see that, in the case of a minimum, the phase contributions from the "slitlets" can be canceled in a pairwise fashion.

I have a feeling something was lost in translation between you and your professor. No professor would use the phrase "rays get diffracted", because ray optics implicitly ignores wave-like behaviour like diffraction.

Claude.
Absolutely right. I know that optics is an approximation, considering light travels in straight lines and not like wave.
But what i meant to ask was that, "do only the 2 light "waves" arriving at the 2 ends of the slit get diffracted? i.e. do no other light wave arriving at the slit get diffracted?"
As diffraction is just flaring of light, which takes place at every point of the slit and not just only at the 2 ends of the slit.

2 light waves

I think it is possible that only 2 light waves get diffracted at the ends of the slit, since diffraction is an interference measure. But i state this based on the scalar diffraction theory, where the Fresnel-Kirchhoff integral operator (or any other approximation that describes diffraction) "sums" all light waves -- mathematically speaking, it sums all its oscillatory sin and cosine terms -- incident upon the slit and "puts" it on a observation point. If, by chance, the geometry of the experiment results in amplitudes at the observation point of only 2 light waves diffracted at the ends of the slit, i see no problem in this. But it means that all other contributions from the slit, except from the edges, interfere destructively. Also, this observation is valid depending where the diffraction pattern is observed, and the latter is directly related to the geometry of the experiment. But rather than being a law, i see it as an exception.

prashant3507 said:

Consider the scenario that this is correct. Then it shouldn't matter how wide I make the slit because only light that is at the end of the slit will get diffracted. The degree of diffraction should remain the same if I keep the intensity constant.

Yet, we know that isn't true. I get a larger diffraction effect as I make the slit smaller and smaller.

Secondly, I can also get the identical diffraction pattern with electrons, and not just having them go through a slit, but rather in a superconducting circuit such as a SQUID. Unless one is willing to contradict the physics of superconductivity, there are no "scattering" off the edge of anything here because the state that the supercurrent has condensed to has long-range coherence that has been "protected" from scattering off the material (quantum protectorate).

Finally, how does one get the diffraction pattern, especially when this is done one photon at a time? If one considers a classical distribution of "ballistic photons" in terms of angle of impact with the side of the slit, there should be a continuous spread of impact on the screen after many photons have passed through the slit one at a time. One can expect this from both sides of the slit opening. There should be a continuous distribution and no cancellation (why would the detector care that a future photon that will hit it in the exact location has an opposite "phase"?).

So no. That explanation is not correct.

Zz.

prashant3507 said:
As diffraction is just flaring of light
Diffraction is the evolution of a wavefront as it propagates. I think if you apply this definition, many of your questions will be resolved.

In the case of the single-slit, being able to calculate the minima by only considering the phase contribution of 2 Huygen's wavelets is pure happenstance, and occurs because of how the phase contribution from each wavelets can be canceled in a pairwise fashion. This can ONLY be done if the observation point is at a minimum, and can't be done for any other observation points (As carlos_asarf pointed out, it is the exception rather than the rule).

Anyone that uses this method to explain single slit diffraction should explain that, because the phase contribution from those two Huygens wavelets can be cancelled, you can extend the same argument to every pair of Huygens wavelets. So in actuality, you are regarding the entire wavefront as you should be doing.

Claude.

What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon in which waves, such as light or sound, spread out as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. This results in a bending or spreading of the waves, which can be observed as patterns of interference.

What is the difference between diffraction and interference?

Diffraction and interference are two related but distinct phenomena. Diffraction refers to the spreading out of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle, while interference refers to the interaction of two or more waves that results in either an increase or decrease in amplitude.

How does diffraction affect the quality of images?

Diffraction can cause blurring or distortion in images, especially when light passes through a small aperture or narrow slit. This is because the spreading out of light waves can cause them to interfere with each other, resulting in a loss of image detail and sharpness.

What are some real-world applications of diffraction?

Diffraction is used in various fields, such as optics, acoustics, and seismology. Some common applications include diffraction gratings used in spectroscopy, ultrasonic diffraction used in medical imaging, and seismic diffraction used in oil and gas exploration.

How can diffraction be calculated or quantified?

The amount of diffraction can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the Fraunhofer diffraction equation. Diffraction can also be quantified through experiments, using tools such as diffraction gratings or diffraction patterns produced by X-rays or electron beams.