Gravity: Is Matter Mostly Empty Space?

In summary, people say that gravity is an extremely weak force. Weaker than any of the other three basic forces that govern our universe. Explanations to this have varied in all forms of radical ideas (I'm not saying I outright reject them). But it has always pestered me the idea that perhaps gravity is such a weak force because matter is mostly compiled of empty space. Matter is mostly made of empty space, so gravity would be weaker than it should be.
BosonJaw
People say gravity is an extremely weak force. Weaker than any of the other three basic forces that govern our universe. Explanations to this have varied in all forms of radical ideas (I'm not saying I outright reject them). But it has always pestered me the idea that perhaps gravity is such a weak force because matter is mostly compiled of empty space. In a hydrogen atom, if the proton were the size of a pixel on your screen, the electron would be about another 50,000 pixels away most of the time...right?. Now imagine if all of that empty space had been compacted with protons. The measure of force relative to density is roughly 5.2 x 10^14 times the magnitude of the original force.

Perhaps I'm missing a concept with my idea here. Mind you I am a physics enthusiast and some of the more advanced topics I am still ignorant to. But I still have the right to ask questions. I hope :smile:

Your ideas, comments, criticisms, or corrections would be much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
look at the forces on an electron, which is not made up of anything else than itself (not as in the case of atoms, where you have 99.999..% nothing). Compare the Coloumb force between two electrons separated 1m and the force of gravity betweem them.

should be a straightforward calculation example for you and it is very illuminating =)

The gravitational force would be larger in your example, BosonJaw, but think about how much much much much MUCH larger the Coulomb force would be (protons have charge)!

But you bring up a very good point: gravity is not weak in the world. After all, we are glued to the Earth, galaxies are held together by gravitational binding energy, black holes have an incredible amount of energy to them, etc. The key point in all of this is that there is no "anti-gravity" but there is "anti-electricity" - that is, charges can cancel but masses will always add up. Therefore on the large scale, gravity is quite strong. But that's only because matter is neutral (same number of electrons as protons) so the even stronger Coulomb force cancels while gravity grows.

Otherwise, the world would look very different! :-)

Well , the gravity force is the weakest of all, but there is a very important property of gravity: it can accumulate while , let say, electrical force can not. As a result, you can not accumulate a bunch made of only negative (or positive) charged particle, while as for gravity you can, "the more, the better", even to an extent of a galaxy or the like.

pixel01 said:
Well , the gravity force is the weakest of all, but there is a very important property of gravity: it can accumulate while , let say, electrical force can not. As a result, you can not accumulate a bunch made of only negative (or positive) charged particle, while as for gravity you can, "the more, the better", even to an extent of a galaxy or the like.

That just follows from blechman's post, that there are no anti-gravity.

Different range, different level. If you regard the galaxy as a particle, the gravity is strong. Only on the large scale the gravity will show his power.

but if we instead imagined that each atom in a galaxy did not have any electrons, and in another, only the electrons where there; then the electronic interaction would be much much greater ;)

The reason for gravity to dominate over larger distances is due to the over-all neutrality of matter of large objects, since there exists two types of electric charges. So yes in reality gravity dominates over large distances, but still it is a very very weak force.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by creating a force between two objects with mass. The strength of the force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the force of gravity.

3. Is matter mostly empty space?

Yes, matter is mostly empty space. The atoms that make up matter are mostly made of empty space, with tiny particles called protons and neutrons occupying a very small portion of the atom. Even within these particles, there is empty space between the nucleus and the electrons.

4. How does empty space have gravity?

Even though matter is mostly empty space, it still has mass. And as we know, mass is what causes gravity. Therefore, even empty space has a very small amount of gravity, although it is not noticeable in everyday life.

5. Can gravity be explained by the curvature of space-time?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass. This means that objects with mass actually warp the fabric of space-time, causing other objects to move towards them.