Exploring the Double Slit Experiment: The Mystery of Empty Space on the Screen

In summary, the conversation revolved around the interference pattern in the double slit experiment for electrons and the question of what fills the empty space on the screen where the electrons do not hit. One theory suggests that it could be filled with matter we cannot see, such as dark matter. However, others argue that the gaps are simply the absence of electron collisions. The conversation also touched on the concept of particles vs waves and how the wave model can better explain the interference pattern.
Sdog
General question to members, when you look at the results and the interference pattern of the double slit experiment for electrons. Does anyone have information on what the empty space is on the screen. The electrons fixed location on the screen shows gaps always. I watched one persons theory that the gaps could be filled with matter we can not see and that's why the elctron never fills the space and gave the example of dark matter filling the space on the assumption that there is no such thing absolute nothing were no photon or lowest level fundamental particle can't be present. Most other papers just describe it as a clear wave form that even appears when electrons are fired one by one. I found the view interesting and slightly confusing. Maybe someone can help

Physics news on Phys.org
Sdog said:
Does anyone have information on what the empty space is on the screen. The electrons fixed location on the screen shows gaps always.
Why in the world would you think that the gaps are anything other than the absence of electron collisions?

Sdog said:
General question to members, when you look at the results and the interference pattern of the double slit experiment for electrons. Does anyone have information on what the empty space is on the screen. The electrons fixed location on the screen shows gaps always. I watched one persons theory that the gaps could be filled with matter we can not see and that's why the elctron never fills the space and gave the example of dark matter filling the space on the assumption that there is no such thing absolute nothing were no photon or lowest level fundamental particle can't be present. Most other papers just describe it as a clear wave form that even appears when electrons are fired one by one. I found the view interesting and slightly confusing. Maybe someone can help
Doc Al said:
Why in the world would you think that the gaps are anything other than the absence of electron collisions?
Doc Al said:
Doc Al said:
That was my thought

From what i read particles cannot diffract and create interference patterns or interact with themselves. therefore what's left is waves which can do all of those things. You got constructive and destructive interference where waves nullify and where they reinforce which are peaks or interference patterns seen. To put it in short if you use waves only as double slit interpretation all the confusing concepts are gone and it all starts making perfect sense. Consider electron wave and proton wave. Factually testable that a proton which was measured to 1 mile long exists. Thus particle does not have such property.

Likes Sdog
Sdog said:
Does anyone have information on what the empty space is on the screen.
That "screen" is a piece of photographic film (or its modern equivalent based on digital camera technology, but it's easier to understand what's going on if you think in terms of the older technology). The dots are places where a photon has hit the film and darkened the grain of silver nitrate it struck; the "empty space" between dots is just film that hasn't been darkened yet. Expose the film long enough (that is, send enough photons at it) and eventually you'll get dots even in low probability areas, but of course you'll still get many more in the high probability areas, so the developed film will still show an interference pattern. Expose it even longer and eventually every single grain of silver nitrate will have been hit and you'll have an ordinary piece of overdeveloped film.

Likes Sasho Andonov
rekoj said:
To put it in short if you use waves only as double slit interpretation all the confusing concepts are gone and it all starts making perfect sense.
Well, sort of... But the wave model cannot explain why the interference pattern builds up one dot at a time - this is the essential difference between the quantum mechanical double-slit experiment and the classical experiment done by Young early in the 19th century.

About the interference pattern that builds up one dot at atime. If i remember correctly i saw a hitachi video clip where they show interference patterns developing over time shooting "one photon" at a time. Basically what they show is that interference pattern is present all the way its just that you can only see that by some kind of amplification of illumination. And particle explanation runs into at least say 4 problems that as it is obvious need kinda science fiction explanations while wave explanation has but only this 1 problem. However we look at it by occam razor we would be wiser if we pursued the wave explanation and tried to resolve this particular curiosity which as i mentioned before seems to be allready resolved since it was shown that interference pattern is present from the first photon onward..

To add why interference pattern builds up one dot at atime one possible explanation is that wave self interferes which points at a possibility of faster than light travel of original signal. Just an idea that seems to be very unpopular but light speed barrier as i understand it through papers i read refers to matter only. Waves don't have mass so superluminal speed doesn't seem an impossibility.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the pattern of light that appears on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double slit experiment demonstrate wave-particle duality?

The double slit experiment shows that light behaves like a wave when it creates an interference pattern on the screen, but also like a particle when it is observed hitting the screen at specific points. This demonstrates that light has both wave-like and particle-like properties.

3. What is the mystery of empty space on the screen in the double slit experiment?

The mystery of empty space on the screen refers to the fact that when a single photon is sent through the double slits, it appears to pass through both slits and create an interference pattern on the screen, even though it is only one particle. This challenges our understanding of how particles behave in space.

4. How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is a key demonstration of the principles of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It shows that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and highlights the uncertainty and randomness inherent in the quantum world.

5. What implications does the double slit experiment have for our understanding of the universe?

The double slit experiment challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as a purely physical, deterministic system. It suggests that there may be underlying principles and forces at play that we do not yet fully understand, and raises questions about the nature of reality and our place in the universe.