My disc free space is diminishing itself, me

In summary, the individual is experiencing a decrease in free space on their local disc C without saving any files. They have tried erasing documents and connecting an external hard drive, but the issue persists. They have also attempted to defragment and use disk cleanup, but to no avail. They suspect it may be a virus and have a Windows Vista Premium operating system. They are advised to check for drive errors and run an anti-virus scan.
kthouz
Hi! please help me!
I am having a real problem this days about my free space on my local disc C. Sometimes when i turn on my computer i find that the free space on my local disc has diminished itself without that i have saved anything on it before . This is very serious because there is at least 1GB that is decreased everyday. where is gone that space? does anyone know?

To solve it, i try to erase some of my documents. There also is another trick that i use but it doesn't work always: i connect another USB external harddisk and the lost space is sometimes restored itself.
I have tried to defragment it but it doesn't cure it at all. I thought about the disk cleanup but it doesn't work neither.
So is this a virus or what...?
In case you need to know, my OS is windows vista premium.
Thank you in advence

Computer science news on Phys.org
You might want to check your drive for errors. And of course a virus scan. I scan my drive regularly with an updated anti-virus regularly.

I would recommend running a thorough virus scan on your computer to check for any potential malware that could be causing your disk space to diminish. It is also possible that there are hidden files or temporary files taking up space on your disk, so using a disk cleanup tool or manually searching for large files and deleting them may also help. Additionally, check your computer's settings to see if there are any automatic backup or syncing processes happening that could be using up space. If the issue persists, it may be worth seeking help from a computer technician to further diagnose the problem.

What causes my disc free space to diminish?

There are several factors that can contribute to your disc free space diminishing. One common cause is the accumulation of temporary files, such as internet cache and temporary installation files. Another factor could be the presence of large or duplicate files. Lastly, a virus or malware infection could also be the culprit.

How can I prevent my disc free space from diminishing?

To prevent your disc free space from diminishing, you can regularly clean out temporary files and delete any unnecessary or duplicate files. It is also important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware. Additionally, you can consider using an external hard drive or cloud storage for storing large files.

Can a full hard drive cause my disc free space to diminish?

Yes, a full hard drive can contribute to your disc free space diminishing. When your hard drive is close to capacity, it can affect the performance of your computer and may cause temporary files to accumulate more quickly. It is important to regularly monitor and manage your hard drive space to avoid this issue.

How can I reclaim lost disc free space?

If you have noticed a significant decrease in your disc free space, there are a few steps you can take to try and reclaim it. First, you can use a disk cleanup tool to clear out temporary files. You can also manually delete any unnecessary or duplicate files. If these methods do not work, you may need to consider freeing up space by uninstalling unused programs or moving large files to an external hard drive or cloud storage.

Can my disc free space diminishing affect the performance of my computer?

Yes, when your disc free space is low, it can affect the performance of your computer. This is because the operating system needs a certain amount of free space to function properly. When the free space is limited, it can slow down your computer and cause programs to crash or freeze. It is important to regularly monitor and manage your disc free space to avoid any performance issues.