Prove REPLACEMENT Theorem in Propositional Logic

In summary: Additionally, any expression of the form (A \vee \neg A) (like the one on the left) is a tautology. Also the implication (P \rightarrow Q) is reducible to (\neg P \vee Q).
RyozKidz
The book which i read for improving my logic sense~
There is a theorem called REPLACEMENT ..

( P [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q ) [tex]\vee[/tex] [tex]\neg[/tex] ( P [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q)
where (P[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q) is the second occurence of ( P [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q)

But what if the replace the second occurrence with [tex]\neg[/tex] P[tex]\vee[/tex] Q!
And i try to check with the truth table it does not gv me the values !
Help~~

Physics news on Phys.org
RyozKidz said:
The book which i read for improving my logic sense~
There is a theorem called REPLACEMENT ..

( P [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q ) [tex]\vee[/tex] [tex]\neg[/tex] ( P [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q)
where (P[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q) is the second occurence of ( P [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q)

But what if the replace the second occurrence with [tex]\neg[/tex] P[tex]\vee[/tex] Q!
And i try to check with the truth table it does not gv me the values !
Help~~

I am not absolutely sure what you mean by the truth table not giving you the values. Are you saying that

[tex](P \rightarrow Q) \vee \neg (P \rightarrow Q) \text{ and } (P \rightarrow Q) \vee \neg (\neg P \vee Q)[/tex]

are not appearing to be logically equivalent?

--Elucidus

Elucidus said:
I am not absolutely sure what you mean by the truth table not giving you the values. Are you saying that

[tex](P \rightarrow Q) \vee \neg (P \rightarrow Q) \text{ and } (P \rightarrow Q) \vee \neg (\neg P \vee Q)[/tex]

are not appearing to be logically equivalent?

--Elucidus

yup yup~~coz i can't prove this is tvalidity by using truth table..~~

Here is the side-by-side truth table of the two expressions. The final values of each is in boldface.

[tex]\begin{array}{c|c|cccc|cccc}
P & Q & (P \rightarrow Q) & \vee & \neg & (P \rightarrow Q) & (P \rightarrow Q) & \vee & \neg & (\neg P \vee Q) \\
\hline
T & T & T & \bold{T} & F & T & T & \bold{T} & F & T \\
T & F & F & \bold{T} & T & F & F & \bold{T} & T & F \\
F & T & T & \bold{T} & F & T & T & \bold{T} & F & T \\
F & F & T & \bold{T} & F & T & T & \bold{T} & F & T
\end{array}[/tex]

Additionally, any expression of the form [itex](A \vee \neg A)[/itex] (like the one on the left) is a tautology. Also the implication [itex](P \rightarrow Q)[/itex] is reducible to [itex](\neg P \vee Q)[/itex].

--Elucidus

1. What is the REPLACEMENT Theorem in Propositional Logic?

The REPLACEMENT Theorem, also known as the Substitution Theorem, states that in propositional logic, any formula can be replaced with another formula that is logically equivalent without changing the truth value of the original formula.

2. Why is the REPLACEMENT Theorem important in propositional logic?

The REPLACEMENT Theorem is important because it allows us to simplify complex logical expressions by substituting equivalent formulas. This makes it easier to analyze and evaluate arguments, and can also help to identify patterns or relationships within a set of propositions.

3. How is the REPLACEMENT Theorem proven in propositional logic?

The REPLACEMENT Theorem can be proven using the laws of logic, such as the Law of Identity, Law of Non-Contradiction, and Law of Excluded Middle. These laws allow us to make logical equivalences and show that the truth value of the original formula remains unchanged after substitution.

4. Are there any limitations to the REPLACEMENT Theorem in propositional logic?

While the REPLACEMENT Theorem is a powerful tool in simplifying logical expressions, it does have some limitations. It cannot be applied to all types of logical statements, such as those involving quantifiers or modal operators. Also, the substitution must result in a logically equivalent statement, not just a similar one.

5. How can the REPLACEMENT Theorem be applied in real-world scenarios?

The REPLACEMENT Theorem has applications in various fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy. In mathematics, it can be used to simplify algebraic expressions or prove the validity of mathematical theorems. In computer science, it can aid in program optimization and error checking. In philosophy, it can help to analyze and evaluate arguments in debates or discussions.