Understanding La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning

• B
  • Thread starter archaic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary: It's not clear to me what you're trying to do. If you are merely using the implication, then yes, if P is true, Q must also be true. OTOH, if you are trying to prove the implication, you must show that when P is true, it necessarily follows that Q will be true. Note that for an implication ##P \Rightarrow Q##, the only situation in which the implication is false is when P is true but Q is false. All other combinations of truth values result in a true...
archaic
I am reading a pdf where, under a "classic ways of reasoning" section, the author introduced a method called la disjonction de cas, which I think in English would be "case by case" reasoning. He enounced it as follows:
$$\text{Let }\mathrm A,\,\mathrm B\text{ and }\mathrm C\text{ be three propositions, then:}\\
\text{This implication is always true: } ((\mathrm A\Rightarrow\mathrm C)\wedge(\mathrm B\Rightarrow\mathrm C))\Rightarrow((\mathrm A \vee \mathrm B)\Rightarrow\mathrm C)$$
I am not sure I understand the point of this, here's how I am thinking about it:
If I can show that ##((\mathrm A\Rightarrow\mathrm C)\wedge(\mathrm B\Rightarrow\mathrm C))## is true, then I have proved that ##((\mathrm A \vee \mathrm B)\Rightarrow\mathrm C)## is true. I know nothing about the truth value of ##\mathrm C##, so I should prove that both ##\mathrm A## and ##\mathrm B## are true to force the truthfulness of the proposition on the left side of the main implication and thus that on the right.
I feel that I am missing something, though, or that I am not seeing the main point. If you could evaluate my reasoning, and/or add something more, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: I should prove that the implications on both sides of the conjunction are true not ##\mathrm A## and ##\mathrm B##, since showing the latter propositions to be doesn't imply that the right side of the main implication is true as ##\mathrm C## might not follow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
archaic said:
I am reading a pdf where, under a "classic ways of reasoning" section, the author introduced a method called la disjonction de cas, which I think in English would be "case by case" reasoning. He enounced it as follows:
$$\text{Let }\mathrm A,\,\mathrm B\text{ and }\mathrm C\text{ be three propositions, then:}\\
\text{This implication is always true: } ((\mathrm A\Rightarrow\mathrm C)\wedge(\mathrm B\Rightarrow\mathrm C))\Rightarrow((\mathrm A \vee \mathrm B)\Rightarrow\mathrm C)$$
I am not sure I understand the point of this, here's how I am thinking about it:
If I can show that ##((\mathrm A\Rightarrow\mathrm C)\wedge(\mathrm B\Rightarrow\mathrm C))## is true, then I have proved that ##((\mathrm A \vee \mathrm B)\Rightarrow\mathrm C)## is true.
No, that's not how it works. If you are trying to prove the overall implication, you would need to also show that ##(A \vee B) \Rightarrow C## is true.
archaic said:
I know nothing about the truth value of ##\mathrm C##, so I should prove that both ##\mathrm A## and ##\mathrm B## are true to force the truthfulness of the proposition on the left side of the main implication and thus that on the right.
I feel that I am missing something, though, or that I am not seeing the main point. If you could evaluate my reasoning, and/or add something more, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: I should prove that the implications on both sides of the conjunction are true not ##\mathrm A## and ##\mathrm B##, since showing the latter propositions to be doesn't imply that the right side of the main implication is true as ##\mathrm C## might not follow.

One way to establish the overall implication is to use a truth table. From my work, it looks like the overall implication actually goes both ways.

What the implication is saying is that if A implies C and B implies C, then either A or B implies C.
Here's a simple example of the implication being used.

Define A as the statement ##x = 1##.
Define B as the statement ##x = -1##.
Define C as the statement ##x^2 = 1##.
Clearly ##A \Rightarrow C##, and ##B \Rightarrow C##, so ##(A \Rightarrow C) \wedge (B \Rightarrow C)##
Then, if either x = 1 or x = -1, then ##x^2## will be 1. In symbols, ##(A \vee B) \Rightarrow C##.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and archaic
Mark44 said:
No, that's not how it works. If you are trying to prove the overall implication, you would need to also show that (A∨B)⇒C(A∨B)⇒C(A \vee B) \Rightarrow C is true.
But the overall implication is always true! If ##\mathrm P\Rightarrow\mathrm Q## is true, then if I show that ##\mathrm P## is true, it follows that ##\mathrm Q## is true using the truth table of the implication (keeping in mind that implication is true).

archaic said:
But the overall implication is always true! If ##\mathrm P\Rightarrow\mathrm Q## is true, then if I show that ##\mathrm P## is true, it follows that ##\mathrm Q## is true using the truth table of the implication (keeping in mind that implication is true).
It's not clear to me what you're trying to do. If you are merely using the implication, then yes, if P is true, Q must also be true. OTOH, if you are trying to prove the implication, you must show that when P is true, it necessarily follows that Q will be true. Note that for an implication ##P \Rightarrow Q##, the only situation in which the implication is false is when P is true but Q is false. All other combinations of truth values result in a true implication.

Likes archaic

What is La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning?

La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning, also known as Case Disjunction Reasoning, is a type of reasoning used in logic and computer science to make decisions based on multiple possible outcomes or cases.

How does La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning work?

This type of reasoning involves considering all possible cases or outcomes of a situation and then using logical rules to determine the most likely or optimal outcome.

What are the benefits of using La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning?

La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning allows for a more comprehensive analysis of a situation, as it takes into account all possible outcomes. It also helps in decision-making by providing a structured approach to considering different scenarios.

What are some examples of La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning in action?

An example of La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning is in computer programming, where a program may use this type of reasoning to determine the appropriate response based on different user inputs. Another example is in legal reasoning, where lawyers may use this type of reasoning to consider all possible outcomes of a case before making a decision on how to proceed.

What are some common challenges or limitations of La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning?

One challenge of La Disjonction de Cas Reasoning is that it can become complex and time-consuming when dealing with a large number of possible cases. It also relies on accurate and complete information, which may not always be available. Additionally, it may not take into account external factors or unexpected events that could impact the outcomes.