Designing a Variable Directed EMF Generator: Difficulty and Schematics

In summary, Vladdek is a newcomer seeking help in designing a directed electromagnetic field generator with variable field strength and oscillation rate. They have minimal experience in electrical engineering but are hoping to pursue a degree in the field. They are also looking for assistance in drawing up a schematic or finding one online. The purpose of the device is to produce a non-invasive method of producing a strong magnetic field through constructive interference between two weaker directed EMF generators. The frequencies they are considering are 1Hz to 10kHz, and the objective is to broadcast energy in the form of EMF at a frequency and power that can be altered. The ultimate goal is to use the device for EM neurostimulation.
Vladdek
I'm relatively new here, but I felt that you guys might be able to help me.
I'm trying to design a directed electromagnetic field generator with a variable field strength and oscillation rate.

What I'd really like to know is exactly how difficult would this be?
My EE experience is rather minimal because I'm mostly an experimenter, but I'm trying to get into a nice college to get a BS in EE, that's unrelated though, except to give you a kind of general view into my level of expertise.
Secondary to my first question, would anyone be able to draw up a schematic or maybe show me to a place that has one?
I don't really want to go into details on what this is for, but I'm thinking about a noninvasive method to produce a strong magnetic field using the constructive interference between two weaker directed emf generators. I haven't been able to find anything on my own, which is one of the reason I'm asking you guys.
I really feel like a "newb" asking here, but you're my last bastion of hope!

Much appreciation and respect,
Vladdek

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vladdek said:
I'm relatively new here, but I felt that you guys might be able to help me.
I'm trying to design a directed electromagnetic field generator with a variable field strength and oscillation rate.

What I'd really like to know is exactly how difficult would this be?
My EE experience is rather minimal because I'm mostly an experimenter, but I'm trying to get into a nice college to get a BS in EE, that's unrelated though, except to give you a kind of general view into my level of expertise.
Secondary to my first question, would anyone be able to draw up a schematic or maybe show me to a place that has one?
I don't really want to go into details on what this is for, but I'm thinking about a noninvasive method to produce a strong magnetic field using the constructive interference between two weaker directed emf generators. I haven't been able to find anything on my own, which is one of the reason I'm asking you guys.
I really feel like a "newb" asking here, but you're my last bastion of hope!

Much appreciation and respect,
Vladdek

Welcome to the PF. What frequencies are you considering? A directed EMF generator sounds like a RF signal source and an antenna of some sort -- is that what you mean? Or are the frequencies you are considering down low, where a resonant antenna arrangement would not be practical?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. What frequencies are you considering? A directed EMF generator sounds like a RF signal source and an antenna of some sort -- is that what you mean? Or are the frequencies you are considering down low, where a resonant antenna arrangement would not be practical?

Thank you :D

I was originally thinking about a RF transmitter that broadcast a certain dB of tone on a frequency determined by the output of an audio card, but I wasn't sure if that would work. Originally I was hoping to see a range of 1hz to 10khz, but maybe 1khz to 10khz would be more realistic? If the constraint is something like an antenna size, efficiency is less important, because I can compensate with a higher power.
Just to be clear, because all the people I've talked to haven't quite understood the first time, the objective is not to broadcast a sound output (like music) over a specific frequency (like a radio transmitter for your iPod or similar) but rather to broadcast energy/radiation in the form of MF/EMF at a frequency and power that can be altered. I thought about this and it seemed to be that I could simplify a RF Transmitter circuit in some way to achieve this. I hope this helps some.
Again, respect and appreciation,
Vladdek

Vladdek said:
Thank you :D

I was originally thinking about a RF transmitter that broadcast a certain dB of tone on a frequency determined by the output of an audio card, but I wasn't sure if that would work. Originally I was hoping to see a range of 1hz to 10khz, but maybe 1khz to 10khz would be more realistic? If the constraint is something like an antenna size, efficiency is less important, because I can compensate with a higher power.
Just to be clear, because all the people I've talked to haven't quite understood the first time, the objective is not to broadcast a sound output (like music) over a specific frequency (like a radio transmitter for your iPod or similar) but rather to broadcast energy/radiation in the form of MF/EMF at a frequency and power that can be altered. I thought about this and it seemed to be that I could simplify a RF Transmitter circuit in some way to achieve this. I hope this helps some.
Again, respect and appreciation,
Vladdek

Frequencies up to 10kHz aren't really RF, and it's hard to launch an EM wave at those frequencies. Are you thinking more of a local resonant coil to transfer energy locally for some reason?

berkeman said:
Frequencies up to 10kHz aren't really RF, and it's hard to launch an EM wave at those frequencies. Are you thinking more of a local resonant coil to transfer energy locally for some reason?

I had to look up a resonant coil on Wikipedia :D I found a 'Resonant energy transfer'. If that's the same thing, I don't believe it'll work. I think I'll try to explain the purpose of the device and hopefully you can help, I do appreciate the effort you're making.
Basically, I'm interested in what I could only really describe as EM Neuro stimulation. I'm going off some studies I've found and the relative harmlessness of EMF on the brain. (and as the test subject, I'm not going to burn out my brain :) ) Some older studies have shown an appreciable benefit in neural activity in specific areas that are exposed to an oscillating magnetic field and more recent ones have shown an appreciable improvement with direct electric stimulation (of a very low wattage). I'm more interested in the former. It sounds a little wacky, I know, but I trust the studies and I'm quite interested in it. Thus, I need to direct an oscillating magnetic field at a relatively small region (say 1-2 sq in). I was going to further minimize any potential risk by using two of these generators and constructive interference to apply the most energy to a specific area while leaving the other areas relatively unaffected.

I hope this doesn't sound too 'new age-y' to continue to garner your help, it's completely backed by science.

Respect,
Vladdek

Vladdek said:
I had to look up a resonant coil on Wikipedia :D I found a 'Resonant energy transfer'. If that's the same thing, I don't believe it'll work. I think I'll try to explain the purpose of the device and hopefully you can help, I do appreciate the effort you're making.
Basically, I'm interested in what I could only really describe as EM Neuro stimulation. I'm going off some studies I've found and the relative harmlessness of EMF on the brain. (and as the test subject, I'm not going to burn out my brain :) ) Some older studies have shown an appreciable benefit in neural activity in specific areas that are exposed to an oscillating magnetic field and more recent ones have shown an appreciable improvement with direct electric stimulation (of a very low wattage). I'm more interested in the former. It sounds a little wacky, I know, but I trust the studies and I'm quite interested in it. Thus, I need to direct an oscillating magnetic field at a relatively small region (say 1-2 sq in). I was going to further minimize any potential risk by using two of these generators and constructive interference to apply the most energy to a specific area while leaving the other areas relatively unaffected.

I hope this doesn't sound too 'new age-y' to continue to garner your help, it's completely backed by science.

Respect,
Vladdek

I don't think we can help you with making a machine to experiment with the effects of high fields on your brain (sorry, against the PF Rules). But I can point you to some really interesting research that's going on now at Stanford and other places. Might be of interest to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optogenetics

Stanford group: http://www.stanford.edu/group/dlab/optogenetics/ (click on "nature protocols for a paper)

Regrettable, but I understand. I guess I should have taken more time to look over the rules than I did. I had some other uses for this as well, but now it will all be taken in the context of my previous query. I still appreciate your time, I learned a few things that will make my future searching more easy because it'll be more specific.

Hopefully now that I've learned of this place, I'll talk to you and others about fun and interesting physics related stuff. :D Once again, I appreciate your time, you've been nothing but helpful and direct.

What is a Directed EMF Generator?

A Directed EMF Generator is a device that uses electromagnetic fields to generate electricity. It works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy through the principle of electromagnetic induction.

How does a Directed EMF Generator work?

A Directed EMF Generator consists of a rotating magnetic field and a stationary conductor. When the magnetic field rotates, it induces a current in the conductor, creating an electrical current.

What are the applications of a Directed EMF Generator?

A Directed EMF Generator has a wide range of applications, including power generation, transportation, and industrial machinery. It is also commonly used in renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric power plants.

What are the advantages of using a Directed EMF Generator?

One of the main advantages of using a Directed EMF Generator is its high efficiency. It can convert a large amount of mechanical energy into electrical energy, making it a cost-effective option for power generation. It also has a simple design and requires minimal maintenance.

Are there any limitations to using a Directed EMF Generator?

One limitation of a Directed EMF Generator is that it requires a constant source of mechanical energy to produce electricity. This means that it cannot be used in areas with low wind speeds or water flow, making it less suitable for certain environments. It also has a relatively high initial cost for installation.