T-Rex Speed: Analyzing the Effects of Gravity

In summary, the speed of the T-rex was calculated through dimensionless analysis, which showed that the data for most animals fell on one curve. It was stated that most people could outrun a T-rex and the question was posed whether gravity has a greater effect on larger animals limiting their velocity. The conversation also touched on the possibility of a jumbo sized version of a human and the limitations of scaling up a body. Factors such as metabolic rate, stride length, and gravity's impact on different parts of the body were discussed as potential influences on an animal's speed. The conclusion was that scaling up a body can lead to problems due to the increase in volume vs surface area, as well as other biological factors.
clearwater304
I was reading in my fluid mechanics book how the speed of the t-rex was calculated through dimensionless analysis.
They plotted v^2/gl vs s/l
v=velocity
g=acceleration due to gravity
l=leg length
s=stride
Which showed that the data for most animals fell approximatly on one curve. My book states most people could outrun a t-rex. My question is, does gravity have a greater effect on larger animals limiting their velocity. For instance, would a jumbo sized version of myself run faster, slower, or have the same speed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaurus

Physics news on Phys.org
clearwater304 said:
My question is, does gravity have a greater effect on larger animals limiting their velocity.

Well, no, because the acceleration of a body due to gravity is independent of mass. Think Galileo etc.

But in any case, I don't think that answers the question of whether a jumbo sized version of yourself would run faster. That rather depends on how other factors (biological factors, like how fast you can move your legs as a function of their mass) scale with size.

I'm thinking a small change in leg length would cuase a dramatic change in mass. I'm guessing this would require more energy to move once the object is above a peak mass, which has more to do with biomechanics. Thats why I was thinking gravity would play a role, as far as the energy required to lift an object, but then again, it's not directly implied by the above equation. I'm still not sure, I think this article states larger animals move quicker (page 13)

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/185/1/71.full.pdf

As the article on wikipedia reads, there are MANY different views on how fast a T-rex could run, ranging from a complete inability to run to being able to run over 40 mph. The reason for the wide range is because there are many different variables.

For a bigger version of yourself, I don't think it's possible to scale a human being to more than a certain size or we start running into problems. I'm not sure though, I think it's something I read once, I just can't remember where.

Having a longer stride will help you run faster (think the difference between a running ant and you) but you can't just "upscale" a body and expect it to work the same.

A bigger human body would have a longer stride but requires more energy to move, generates higher wind resistance and would suffer from medical problems if too big e.g knee problems, heart problems etc

clearwater304 said:
I was reading in my fluid mechanics book how the speed of the t-rex was calculated through dimensionless analysis.
They plotted v^2/gl vs s/l
v=velocity
g=acceleration due to gravity
l=leg length
s=stride
Which showed that the data for most animals fell approximatly on one curve. My book states most people could outrun a t-rex. My question is, does gravity have a greater effect on larger animals limiting their velocity. For instance, would a jumbo sized version of myself run faster, slower, or have the same speed?

Clever (dimensional) analysis: the ratio of centripetal force and gravitational force plotted vs. the scaled stride.

http://www.engin.umich.edu/class/me646/Lecture%2012%20Step%20length%20vs%20speed.pdf

The dimensionless velocity above is also the Froude number (2/3 of the way down):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froude_number

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0966636204000268

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess the fact that a larger animal would have a longer stride would give it more speed, but if we consider Kleiber's law, you would have to take into account that smaller animals have a faster metabolism, thus more energy readily available. I would think there would be some sort of optimum speed vs size ratio based on this.

http://universe-review.ca/R10-35-metabolic.htm

Wait. Why are you guys saying that you run into problems when you upscale a human body and keep all the proportions the same? Is it because you'll get different gravitational pulls? Gravity will pull harder on your feet than your head. But doesn't that apply to the small version too?

tahayassen said:
Wait. Why are you guys saying that you run into problems when you upscale a human body and keep all the proportions the same? Is it because you'll get different gravitational pulls? Gravity will pull harder on your feet than your head. But doesn't that apply to the small version too?

I think it's due more to the fact that as you scale something up its volume increases faster than its surface area.

See here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2893766

tahayassen said:

Drakkith said:
I think it's due more to the fact that as you scale something up its volume increases faster than its surface area.

See here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2893766
This is exactly right although there are other problems as well such as the tolerance of muscles/cartilage/bone, the strength of the heart muscle etc.

Drakkith said:
Yes and the force of muscles depends on their cross sectional area, not volume. So when you scale a human by factor 2, his muscles are 4 times stronger, but he is are 8 times heavier.

Based on this simplistic approach you can state, that if it was possible to scale a human down to the size of an ant, he could carry much more than a ant can. But there are many assumptions involved here.

tahayassen said:

Not just a human body- anything. Two bridges, each identical in every ways except for a (fixed) change in length scale, can carry (proportionally) different loads. This is a general rule when one property (say mass) varies as the volume by another property (say strength) varies as a (typically cross-section) area. Animals with large heads (bulls, elephants) have necks that are considerably different in form than smaller animals, even though the overall body proportions may be similar.

A second factor: Different forces scale differently with length: gravity with volume, surface tension with area. Insects can live on the surface of water, while larger animals cannot- and their anatomy has evolved in response to this. Insects don't have lungs- their tissues can be supplied by oxygen by diffusion directly- they don't need lungs or a circulatory system.

As for hydrostatic pressure heads, that definitely is important for a giraffe! Consider the pressure change experienced by the cranial capillaries when the animal lowers its head to drink.

You would generate the same amount of energy and speed but since your legs would be longer, then you would cover more distance, thus making you "FASTER".:redface:

Richy-Rich said:
You would generate the same amount of energy and speed but since your legs would be longer, then you would cover more distance, thus making you "FASTER".:redface:
Beyond a certain extent this is not true. A larger body has more mass but not the muscle strength to compensate for it. A smaller person with a lighter body can cover more distance with faster, shorter strides than a heavier person with slower, longer strides. Of course there are many other factors.

What is the purpose of studying T-Rex speed and the effects of gravity?

The purpose of studying T-Rex speed and the effects of gravity is to gain a better understanding of the physical capabilities and limitations of the T-Rex, one of the most iconic and formidable dinosaurs that ever existed. By analyzing the effects of gravity on the T-Rex, scientists can also gain insights into the environment in which these creatures lived.

How fast could a T-Rex run?

The exact speed of a T-Rex is still a topic of debate among scientists, but the most commonly accepted estimate is that they could run up to speeds of 18-25 miles per hour. This is based on the size and structure of their bones and muscles, as well as their potential hunting behaviors.

What factors affect T-Rex speed?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of a T-Rex, including its size, weight, muscle strength, and the terrain it is running on. The effects of gravity can also play a role in its speed, as well as other environmental factors such as temperature and humidity.

How does the anatomy of a T-Rex contribute to its speed?

The anatomy of a T-Rex, specifically its long and powerful hind limbs and flexible spine, is a major contributor to its speed. These features allowed the T-Rex to take long strides and maintain balance while running, making it a formidable predator.

What can studying T-Rex speed and gravity tell us about other animals and environments?

Studying T-Rex speed and the effects of gravity can provide insights into the physical capabilities and limitations of other animals as well. It can also give us a better understanding of the environment in which the T-Rex lived, including the type of terrain and obstacles they may have encountered while on the hunt.