Atmospheric Density Profiles of Europa and Mars

In summary, Muza, a fourth year undergraduate student working on a project on astrobiology, is seeking information on atmospheric density profile models for Europa, Enceladus, and Mars in order to calculate meteorite impact on their surfaces. A Google search for "mars atmospheric profile" yields numerous relevant results, including papers on the subject. While Europa has a surface pressure of ~100nPa, the surface pressure on Enceladus is highly variable and can likely be disregarded for meteorites of significant size.
mightymouz02
Hi all,

This is my first post. I am a fourth year undergrad doing a project on astrobiology. in order to do calculations of meteorite impact on the surfaces of europa, enceladus, and mars, i need their atmospheric density profile models. Any idea where i could find those?

thanks in advance.

muza

Astronomy news on Phys.org
"mars atmospheric profile" gives a lot of relevant google hits, including several papers about its atmosphere.
Europa has a surface pressure of ~100nPa (reference), on Enceladus it is very variable (see this and the following reference) - I would expect that you can neglect it for meteorites of significant size.

1. What is the purpose of studying the atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars?

The purpose of studying the atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars is to better understand the composition, structure, and dynamics of their atmospheres. This information can provide insights into the past and present climatic conditions on these planets, as well as potential habitability.

2. How do scientists measure the atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to measure the atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars. These include direct measurements from spacecrafts, ground-based observations, and modeling based on data from previous missions.

3. What factors affect the atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars?

The atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars are affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of different gases and particles. The distance from the Sun and the strength of the planets' magnetic fields also play a role in shaping their atmospheres.

4. How do the atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars differ?

The atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars differ in several ways. Europa has a much thinner atmosphere compared to Mars, with a surface pressure of only 0.1 microbars compared to Mars' 6.1 millibars. Europa's atmosphere is primarily composed of oxygen and hydrogen, while Mars' atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide. Additionally, the temperatures and atmospheric dynamics of the two planets vary significantly.

5. What can the atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars tell us about their potential for life?

The atmospheric density profiles of Europa and Mars can provide valuable information about their potential for life. A dense and stable atmosphere with the right combination of gases and conditions is essential for supporting life as we know it. By studying the atmospheric density profiles, scientists can determine if these conditions exist on Europa and Mars, and if there are any indications of past or present habitable environments.