Help with Problem Investigating Structures Made of Unit Rods

• Thread starter Carlito1
  • Start date
In summary, the task involves investigating cubes made of single unit rods and determining the number of rods and joints in different sized cubes. The formula for calculating the number of joints is needed, particularly for a 3 by 3 by 3 cube and a 55 by 55 by 55 cube. The cubes have different types of joints including three-joints, four-joints, five-joints, and six-joints.
Carlito1
Hey. I’m having trouble with this work I’ve been set about structures. I understand some of it, which I’ll explain later, but I really need your help with it!

My task is to investigate different sized cubes, made up of single unit rods and justify formulae for the number of rods and joints in the cubes. For example, 2 by 2 by 2 cube, 3 by 3 by 3 cube etc etc etc…

I desperately need help on getting a formula to work this out. I know already, as my teacher gave us these results, that a 1 by 1 by 1 cube has the following:

8 Three-Joints ( as do all cubes)
0 Four Joints
0 Five Joints
0 Six Joints

and a 2 by 2 by 2 has:

8 three joints
12 four joints
2 five joints
1 six joints

I really need a formula in order to calculate how many joints a 3 by 3 by 3 has, and with that formula to use it on let's say a 55 by 55 by 55 cube.

All help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for being confusing, but here's the task:

Sorry, I was vague.
---
Rigid Structures are constructed using unit rods.

An example is shown below:

* Pic opf a 2 by 2 by 2 cube*

The individual rods in the structures are held together using different types of joints. (Just think of making cubes using matchsticks and playdough*.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6166/joints3lz.jpg

A three joint would be on the vertices of each cube no matter what the size and so therefore there'll be 8 three-joints.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would be happy to help you with your problem investigating structures made of unit rods. It seems like you are on the right track and have a good understanding of the basics. The key to solving this problem is to understand the pattern in the number of joints as the size of the cube increases.

Here's a possible approach that might help you come up with a formula:

1. Start by drawing out the 1 by 1 by 1 cube and labeling each joint with a number (1, 2, 3, etc.). This will help you visualize the pattern.

2. Then draw out the 2 by 2 by 2 cube and label each joint again. Notice how the joints from the 1 by 1 by 1 cube are still present, but there are also new joints.

3. Look at the new joints in the 2 by 2 by 2 cube and try to identify a pattern. For example, you can see that each edge of the cube has one new joint, and each face has four new joints.

4. Use this pattern to come up with a formula for the number of joints in a 2 by 2 by 2 cube. For example, you could say that the number of joints is equal to 8 (from the 1 by 1 by 1 cube) plus 12 (4 edges times 3 new joints per edge) plus 6 (6 faces times 4 new joints per face). This gives you a total of 26 joints.

5. Now, try to apply this same approach to a 3 by 3 by 3 cube. Draw it out and label each joint. Then look for the pattern in the new joints and use it to come up with a formula for the total number of joints.

6. Once you have a formula for the number of joints in a 3 by 3 by 3 cube, you can use it to calculate the number of joints in a 55 by 55 by 55 cube.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Remember to always think critically and look for patterns when solving scientific problems. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of investigating structures made of unit rods?

The purpose of investigating structures made of unit rods is to understand the principles of structural engineering and how different configurations of unit rods can affect the strength and stability of a structure. This can help in designing and constructing more efficient and resilient structures in the future.

2. How do unit rods contribute to the investigation of structures?

Unit rods are important building blocks in the investigation of structures as they allow for the creation of different configurations and patterns to study the behavior and properties of the structure. They also provide a simplified model for studying complex structures and their principles.

3. What factors should be considered when investigating structures made of unit rods?

When investigating structures made of unit rods, factors such as the material of the rods, their dimensions, and the method of connection should be considered. These factors can greatly influence the strength and stability of the structure and should be carefully chosen and controlled during the investigation.

4. What are some common challenges faced when investigating structures made of unit rods?

Some common challenges faced when investigating structures made of unit rods include ensuring accurate measurements and connections, dealing with varying levels of precision in the rods, and accounting for external factors such as temperature and humidity which may affect the behavior of the structure.

5. What are some potential applications of the findings from investigating structures made of unit rods?

The findings from investigating structures made of unit rods can have various applications in the field of engineering, such as in the design and construction of bridges, buildings, and other structures. They can also be used in the development of new materials and techniques for building more durable and efficient structures.