Air saturation level vs temperature and pressure

In summary, the psychrometric chart suggests that there is a temperature at which condensation will occur, but it will take time for it to re-evaporate.
Mr-gone
Here is my problem:

I got an open cylinder of constant volume V that is been closed at 40'C and 100% R.H. The cylinder when closed is completely sealed. Inside the cylinder there is and heater that bring temperature at 60'C. When that temperature is reached, I see condensation inside the cylinder (Based on real experiment)

My initial tough was since temperature is increasing, there would be not condensation inside the cylinder. (Saturation level of air increase with temperature) But if the heater is turned off and temperature reach equilibrium at 15'C, some condensed water will be present inside the cylinder.

Since I see condensation appear at 60’C it seems like I missed something. I decided to verify pressure increase inside the cylinder based on perfect gas law. Since it’s a constant volume I can say: P/T = K where K is a constant. If initial pressure is 100 Kpa @ 40’C the pressure at 60’C will 150 Kpa. Usually pressure variations have small impact on air saturation level. Since I’m working with small volume maybe the impact is more significant. I now trying to find what are the saturation levels for a specific pressure and temperature. Does someone can help me with this request?

Regards,

Science news on Phys.org
Here is a psychrometric chart:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ic+chart&start=2&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=2

No, those small pressures will have virtually no impact on the water vapor.

What I think you are missing, though, is that condensation doesn't happen when the air reaches saturation temp/humidity, but rather when the surface reaches (goes below) the saturation (dew point) temperature. So if you increase the temperature and humidity inside, but the surface of the cylinder remains cooler, you'll get condensation.

I would also venture that if you gave it time, the condensation would "re-evaporate" into the atmosphere of your cylinder. Remember each time a molocule of water leaves one of those droplets on the cylinder, the rest of the droplet is cooled slightly because of the excess energy the molocule stole to escape.

What is air saturation level and how is it affected by temperature and pressure?

Air saturation level refers to the amount of water vapor present in the air at a particular temperature and pressure. As temperature and pressure change, so does the ability of the air to hold water vapor, thus affecting the saturation level.

How does temperature affect air saturation level?

As temperature increases, air molecules move faster and the air is able to hold more water vapor. This means that at higher temperatures, the air saturation level increases.

How does pressure affect air saturation level?

As pressure increases, air molecules are pushed closer together, making it more difficult for water vapor to escape into the air. This results in a higher air saturation level at higher pressures.

How is air saturation level measured?

Air saturation level is typically measured using a device called a hygrometer, which measures the amount of water vapor present in the air. This measurement is then compared to the maximum amount of water vapor that could be present at that temperature and pressure to determine the saturation level.

What are the practical applications of understanding air saturation level?

Understanding air saturation level is important in weather forecasting, as it can help predict the likelihood of precipitation. It is also useful in industries such as agriculture and construction, where knowledge of humidity levels can impact crop growth and building materials. Additionally, understanding air saturation level can help in the design and maintenance of HVAC systems for optimal air quality and comfort.