Temperature and pressure change in an air vessel

In summary, the conversation is about modeling an air vessel with a constant volume and compressed air. The equations in the attached photo are being questioned for their suitability, and there is also a discussion about the charging and discharging processes occurring simultaneously. The person mentions finding the equation in a published paper and confirming it using the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics.
AmeenBassam
Hello All,

I am trying to model an air vessel with a constant volume during charging and discharging with compressed air. Are the equations in the attached photo are suitable?
where m is the air mass, Gc and Gt are the mass flow rate in and out of the air vessel with a volume V. Tac is the temperature of the Air in air storage device.

Attachments

• eq.png
    eq.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 52
Science news on Phys.org
AmeenBassam said:
Hello All,

I am trying to model an air vessel with a constant volume during charging and discharging with compressed air. Are the equations in the attached photo are suitable?
where m is the air mass, Gc and Gt are the mass flow rate in and out of the air vessel with a volume V. Tac is the temperature of the Air in air storage device.
Let's see your derivation. Also, are the charging and discharging occurring simultaneously?

Chestermiller said:
Let's see your derivation. Also, are the charging and discharging occurring simultaneously?
I found this equation in a published paper in Elsevier and I just wanted to make sure of it and thank you for your reply.

AmeenBassam said:
I found this equation in a published paper in Elsevier and I just wanted to make sure of it and thank you for your reply.
Using the open system version of the 1st law of thermodynamics, I confirmed the temperature equation, even for combined charging and discharging.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in an air vessel?

The relationship between temperature and pressure in an air vessel is known as the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature when volume and number of particles are constant. This means that as temperature increases, pressure also increases and vice versa.

2. How does changing the volume of an air vessel affect temperature and pressure?

Changing the volume of an air vessel will also affect temperature and pressure. According to Boyle's law, when volume decreases, pressure increases and when volume increases, pressure decreases. This means that as the volume of an air vessel decreases, the temperature and pressure will increase and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure in an air vessel?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by the air in an vessel, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, only measures the pressure above atmospheric pressure. This means that absolute pressure will always be higher than gauge pressure.

4. How does the type of gas in an air vessel affect temperature and pressure?

The type of gas in an air vessel does not affect the relationship between temperature and pressure. However, different gases have different properties and will behave differently under the same temperature and pressure conditions. For example, some gases may expand more than others when heated, resulting in a larger change in pressure.

5. Can temperature and pressure in an air vessel be controlled independently?

Yes, temperature and pressure in an air vessel can be controlled independently by adjusting the volume of the vessel or by adding or removing gas from the vessel. However, the ideal gas law still applies, so changing one variable will also affect the other variables. It is important to carefully monitor and adjust all variables in order to achieve the desired temperature and pressure in an air vessel.