From Know Thyself to Construct Thyself

• Medical
  • Thread starter CuriousArv
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how engineers can improve the efficiency of the brain by re-programming it.
CuriousArv
From "Know Thyself" to "Construct Thyself"

Can't help my curiosity...

Suppose one considers this. The appendix in the human body is more or less useless (correct me if I'm wrong). In fact it just become a nusicance in situations. So there are just obselete 'bits' hanging around that everybody has. Are there similar things in the brain?

Also, taking an engineering standpoint, in terms of efficiency, i can imagine that there are probably lot of mechanisms in the human body that work the way they do because working that way was the most (quasi) efficient choice for nature. In the current world, such a mechanism is probably inefficient and there are ways that a scientist can identify probably that can do the same function better or perhaps even get rid of that altogether.

Are there these kinds of inefficient mechanisms in the brain (eg: that operate during brain development?) has anyone identified any so far? ... obvisly I'm trying to get an idea of what avenues for engineering are possible.

Biology news on Phys.org
Are there parts of the Brain that are inefficient?

Depending on what you call inefficient, the answer has to be YES.

This is reason that people have Psychosis ... their brains working inefficiently.
If I want to focus on one thing, I can't ... there are many other things taking attention.

But, on the other hand, I don't think we can just start cutting-out pieces of the Brain to improve its efficiency.

I would be happy to have my pain center desensitized.
Then, it's 110 degrees, and I am feeling better.
Or 40 degrees, and I don't need to take a coat.
Or, work-out till I drop, and then the next day ... I feel fine.

My thinking (never having pondered this before) is:
1) Engineering can be done, without removing any tissue;
2) Programming is the key; re-program the brain (brainwash it).
This way, much of the inefficient programming can be over-written, and new, strong programming can fill up that void.
So, engineer a powerful brainwashing system: Accentuate the Positive; eliminate the Negative.
If you do, I will be your first customer.

The shift from "Know Thyself" to "Construct Thyself" is a fascinating concept. It suggests that we have the power to actively shape and mold ourselves, rather than simply accepting who we are. This is a powerful idea, as it means we are not limited by our inherent traits or biology, but rather, we have the ability to constantly improve and evolve.

Your curiosity about the human body and brain is understandable. It's true that there are some parts of our anatomy that seem to serve no purpose, such as the appendix. However, it's important to note that our understanding of the human body is constantly evolving, and what may seem useless to us now may have had a purpose in our evolutionary past. Additionally, even if a certain part of our body or brain seems obsolete, it's possible that it still plays a role in some way that we have yet to discover.

From an engineering standpoint, it's interesting to consider the idea of efficiency in the human body and brain. It's true that nature often finds the most efficient solutions for survival, but it's also important to remember that efficiency is not always the ultimate goal. Evolution is a messy process, and sometimes things that may seem inefficient can actually serve a purpose in the bigger picture.

As for identifying inefficient mechanisms in the brain, there is ongoing research in this area. Scientists are constantly learning more about how the brain works and how we can potentially improve its functioning. However, it's important to approach this with caution, as the brain is a complex and delicate system. Any attempts to engineer or alter it must be done carefully and ethically.

In conclusion, the idea of "Construct Thyself" opens up many possibilities for self-improvement and personal growth. However, it's important to approach this with a deep understanding and respect for the complexities of our biology and the potential consequences of altering it. We are constantly learning more about ourselves, and it's up to us to use that knowledge responsibly.

What is "From Know Thyself to Construct Thyself"?

"From Know Thyself to Construct Thyself" is a concept that describes the journey of self-discovery and self-development. It emphasizes the importance of understanding oneself before creating one's own identity and purpose.

Why is self-discovery important?

Self-discovery is important because it allows individuals to understand their strengths, weaknesses, values, and beliefs. This knowledge can help them make better decisions, set meaningful goals, and develop a sense of purpose in life.

How can one start the journey of self-discovery?

The journey of self-discovery can begin by reflecting on one's thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. Engaging in activities such as journaling, therapy, or meditation can also aid in the process of self-discovery.

Can self-discovery lead to self-improvement?

Yes, self-discovery can lead to self-improvement as it helps individuals identify areas for growth and development. By understanding oneself, one can set realistic goals and work towards becoming the best version of themselves.

Is self-discovery a one-time process?

No, self-discovery is an ongoing process as individuals continue to evolve and change throughout their lives. It is important to regularly revisit and reflect on oneself to continue growing and developing.