Solving Probability of Husband & Wife on Committee of 4

• Thread starter bethanyd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses a probability problem involving a committee of 4 people randomly selected from 5 married couples. The solution involves dividing the possible combinations into groups and using a formula to calculate the final answer. However, there is some confusion about the correct way to split the people into groups, which is important for accurately calculating the probability of a husband and wife being on the same committee. The conversation also considers using the probability of a husband and wife not being on the committee as an alternative approach.
bethanyd
My friend came up with some solutions but I have doubts about them and was wondering if someone could help a bit.

Homework Statement

A committee of 4 people is randomly selected from 5 married couples. What is the probability that a husband and wife do not belong to that committee?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have All possible combinations = 4C10
then, divided into groups / sets:
P("all men"), P("3 men, 1 woman"), P("2 men, 2 women"), P("1 man, 3 women"), P("all women").

Then P(final answer) = [P("all men") + P("3 men, 1 woman") + P("2 men, 2 women") + P("1 man, 3 women") + P("all women")] / All possible combinations

My question, or more specifically, the part I am confused about is this: what stops a couple from being on the committee? Please explain this answer, I don't quite get it.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
With a single-sex committee you cannot have H&W team. But, with the other combinations, there may be a situation where a couple is included, or not. For example, if the committee has 3 men & 1 woman, there is a probability that one of the 3 men will be the woman's husband. Your formula does not reflect that probability.

Hey

Okay, so here is the solution to this problem I have come up with:

P("all men") = (5, 4)
P("3 men, 1 woman") = (5, 3)(2, 1)
P("2 men, 2 women") = (5, 2)(3, 2)
P("1 man, 3 women") = (5, 1)(4, 3)
P("all women") = (5, 4)

And total possibilities: (10, 4)

Then, as I said above, P(final answer) = [P("all men") + P("3 men, 1 woman") + P("2 men, 2 women") + P("1 man, 3 women") + P("all women")] / All possible combinations

Please let me know if this makes sense / looks correct.

Thank you!
Beth

Hi Beth, you have split your people up wrong. You have 2 groups of 5 (5 men, 5 women), the right way to split them up is into 5 groups of 2 (the Smith's, the Wilson's, the Doe's, ...). For the purpose of this problem, what matters is which couple a given individual belongs to, not which gender.

-Dale

Hey

Would it be possible to give a bit more guidance? I don't quite understand this. I have 5 groups of two couples each. 1 person from the 2 in the group can be selected... so would it be something like:

(2, 1)(2, 1)(2, 1)(2, 1)(2, 1) / (10, 4)

Please help! Thanks
Beth

Actually, I have another possibility I thought of.

Since P("husband and wife not being on the committee") = 1 - P("husband and wife on same committee").

There are 5 couples, ie, 5 sets of husband and wife, and (10, 4) total possibilities.
Could P("husband and wife on same committee") = 5 / (10, 4) ?

Thanks!
Beth

1. What is the probability of a husband and wife both being on a committee of 4 people?

The probability of a husband and wife both being on a committee of 4 people is dependent on the total number of couples in the group and the total number of people in the group. In general, the probability can be calculated by dividing the number of ways a husband and wife can be chosen (2) by the total number of ways to choose 4 people from the group. For example, if there are 10 couples and 20 people in the group, the probability would be 2/4845, or approximately 0.04%.

2. How does the probability change if the committee size is increased or decreased?

The probability of a husband and wife both being on a committee of 4 people will change depending on the total number of people in the group and the size of the committee. In general, as the size of the committee increases, the probability will decrease because there are more possible combinations that do not include both the husband and wife. On the other hand, if the committee size decreases, the probability will increase because there are fewer possible combinations that do not include both the husband and wife.

3. Is the probability different if the husband and wife are not allowed to be on the committee together?

Yes, the probability will be different if the husband and wife are not allowed to be on the committee together. In this case, the probability would be calculated by dividing the number of ways a husband and wife can be chosen (2) by the total number of ways to choose 4 people from the group minus the number of ways the husband and wife can be chosen together (1). For example, if there are 10 couples and 20 people in the group, the probability would be 2/4844, or approximately 0.04%.

4. How does the probability change if the group consists of an odd number of couples?

The probability of a husband and wife both being on a committee of 4 people will change if the group consists of an odd number of couples. In this case, there will be one extra person in the group, which means that the total number of possible combinations will change. The probability can still be calculated by dividing the number of ways a husband and wife can be chosen (2) by the total number of ways to choose 4 people from the group, but the total number of ways to choose 4 people will be different. For example, if there are 9 couples and 19 people in the group, the probability would be 2/3876, or approximately 0.05%.

5. Can the probability be affected by other factors, such as the gender of the other committee members?

Yes, the probability can be affected by other factors, such as the gender of the other committee members. If the group consists of only couples, the probability will be the same as in the previous examples. However, if there are other individuals in the group, the probability will be slightly different because the number of possible combinations will be affected. For example, if there are 8 couples and 4 other individuals in the group, the probability would be 2/660, or approximately 0.30%.