Universal law of gravity involving ratios

In summary: So what would r2 represent?r2 would represent the distance from the center of Earth at which the person's weight is being calculated. So based on the given information, you can set up the equation: 980 x (r1)^2 = Fg2 x (r2)^2Since you know the value of Fg1 and r1, you can solve for r2 by rearranging the equation and plugging in the numbers:r2 = √(980 x (r1)^2)/Fg2In this case, Fg2 would be the gravitational force at the given distance (128,000km) which you can calculate using the general expression for gravitational force (Fg = G x
Rgonzales

Homework Statement

For this problem, use ratios only to obtain the weight of a person at the following distances. Assume the person weighs 980N on the surface of Earth.

a) 128 000km above the surface of Earth
b) 4.5 times the distance from the centre of Earth
c) 745 400km from Earths Centre.

Homework Equations

It basically evolves around:

Fg = G x m1 x m2
r(squared)

Fg = force of gravity
G = constant gravitational force
m1 and m2 = mass
r = distance

however,

we are using a ratio so the teacher told us that it is:

fg1 x r1(squared) = fg2 x r2(squared)

r = distance
fg = force of gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

We started this yesterday in class and he told us to try it so I am not sure how to attempt this. I tried doing a FBD ( Free body diagram ) to make the question abit easier, but no success. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is your question/problem? Proving [tex] F_{g1} r_1^2 = F_{g2} r_2^2 [/tex] or applying it to the problem you stated?
For proving: Take a close look at the general expression for the gravitational force - maybe you get the idea (I don't want to reveal too much and there's several possible attempts).
For solving the stated problem using the relation: Just do it. Which of the four appearing variables do you know, which don't you know? Solve the equation for the one you don't know and plug in the numbers.

I need to find the weight at of the object at each distance using the ratio that you stated.

Well, in this case:
1)
Which of the four appearing variables do you know (the value of) ?
2)
Which of the four appearing variables don't you know (the value of)?
3)
Solve the equation for the one you don't know and plug in the numbers.

k well fg1 = 980 N , we have r1 = 128,000, what will be r2?

Last edited:
I don't know where the 500 N come from, you seem to be ignoring the statement "assume the person weighs 980N on the surface of Earth" which fixes two of the variables.

ops sorry i meant 980N.

1. What is the Universal Law of Gravity?

The Universal Law of Gravity is a scientific principle that explains the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the Universal Law of Gravity involve ratios?

The Universal Law of Gravity involves ratios in the sense that it describes the relationship between the masses of two objects and the distance between them. The ratio of the masses and the inverse square of the distance determines the strength of the gravitational force between the objects.

3. Who discovered the Universal Law of Gravity?

The Universal Law of Gravity was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687. Newton's law of gravitation was one of the three laws of motion that he presented in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica".

4. Is the Universal Law of Gravity applicable to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the Universal Law of Gravity is applicable to all objects in the universe. It is a fundamental law of physics that governs the motion of celestial bodies and other objects with mass.

5. How does the Universal Law of Gravity affect our daily lives?

The Universal Law of Gravity affects our daily lives in countless ways. It is the force that keeps us grounded on Earth, keeps the planets in orbit around the sun, and even determines the tides in our oceans. Without gravity, the universe as we know it would not exist.