Uniform charge Electric field

In summary, two 10cm long thin rods, one with a charge of 12nC and the other with a charge of -12nC, are placed 3.9cm apart. The electric field strengths at 1cm, 2cm, and 3cm from the glass rod along the line connecting the midpoints of the two rods are 211805 N/C, 100275 N/C, and 61739.5 N/C, respectively. The electric field strengths at 3.9cm - 1cm, 3.9cm - 2cm, and 3.9cm - 3cm from the plastic rod are 64429.9 N/C, 106270 N
StephenDoty
A 10cm long thin glass rod uniformly charged to 12nC and a 10cm long thin plastic rod uniformly charged to -12nC are placed side by side, 3.9cm apart. What are the electric field strengths at 1cm, 2 cm , and 3cm from the glass rod along the line connecting the midpoints of the two rods?

E=k Q/(r*[tex]\sqrt{r^2 +(L/2)^2}[/tex])

E=k Q/(r*[tex]\sqrt{r^2 +(.05m)^2}[/tex])

From glass rod
E at 1cm = E= k 12nC/((.01m)*[tex]\sqrt{(.01m)^2 +(.05m)^2}[/tex])= 211805 N/C
E at 2cm = 100275 N/C
E at 3cm = 61739.5 N/C

From plastic rod
E at (3.9cm - 1cm) = E= k 12nC/((.029m)*[tex]\sqrt{(.029m)^2 +(.05m)^2}[/tex]) = 64429.9 N/C
E at (3.9cm - 2cm) = 106270 N/C
E at (3.9cm - 3cm) = 236204 N/C

E net at p1= 211805 N/C + 64429.9 N/C = 276235 N/C
E net at p2= 100275 N/C + 106270 N/C = 206545 N/C
E net at p3 = 61739.5 N/C + 236204 N/C = 297944 N/C

Did I do this right?

Thanks for the help.
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
I am really unsure if I did this problem correctly. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Stephen

StephenDoty said:
I am really unsure if I did this problem correctly. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Stephen

Without looking up the charged rod relationship or the math involved, the method looks good.

Anybody have any opinions.

I really appreciate the help.
Stephen

I have to turn this in very soon. Did I do this problem correctly?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Stephen

Yes, it looks good. You might watch the significant figures, if your professor cares about that sort of thing.

1. What is a uniform charge electric field?

A uniform charge electric field is a type of electric field in which the magnitude and direction of the electric field remain constant at every point. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a uniform charge electric field created?

A uniform charge electric field is created by placing a stationary charged object in a specific location. The electric field is then determined by the magnitude and sign of the charge, as well as the distance from the charged object.

3. What is the difference between a uniform charge electric field and a non-uniform charge electric field?

The main difference between a uniform charge electric field and a non-uniform charge electric field is that the magnitude and direction of the electric field in a non-uniform field vary at different points, whereas they remain constant in a uniform field. Non-uniform fields are typically created by multiple charged objects or unevenly distributed charges.

4. How is the strength of a uniform charge electric field measured?

The strength of a uniform charge electric field is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C). This unit is also known as volts per meter (V/m) or electric field strength.

5. What are some real-life applications of a uniform charge electric field?

Some real-life applications of a uniform charge electric field include the functioning of batteries and electronic devices, as well as the operation of particle accelerators and ion engines in spacecrafts. Electric fields are also used in various medical procedures, such as electrocardiograms and electrosurgery.