Magnetic Flux through a loop:

In summary, the magnetic field of a solenoid is constant, but you have to find it in terms of length of the solenoid.
spriter

Homework Statement

A single-turn square loop of side L is centered on the axis of a long solenoid. In addition, the plane of the square loop is perpendicular to the axis of the solenoid. The solenoid has 1350 turns per meter and a diameter of 5.55 cm, and carries a current of 2.20A

Homework Equations

Magnetic Field (B) of a solenoid: B = [tex]\mu_{0}[/tex]*(N/L)*I
Where [tex]\mu_{0} = 4pi * 10^{-7} T*m/A[/tex] , N/L is loops per unit length, and I is current

[tex]\Phi = B*A*Cos\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing this: I use the Magnetic Field of a solenoid formula to find the magnetic field through the solenoid - because I know the magnetic field within the axis of the solenoid is constant, I thought I could just find the value of that constant B and then find the flux using the other formula for the different values of L (area) - and for areas larger than the circle of the solenoid - I could take the area of the flux as the area of the circle.

However, when I put my answer in, it tells me that the answer must be expressed in terms of L (I don't know if that's supposed to be the side length of the square or if it's supposed to be the length of the solenoid).Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the area of the loop as L^2 and find the flux through it.

Oh, sorry: I forgot a bit of information:

There are three parts to the question:

A) Find the magnetic flux through the loop when L = 2.35 cm.

B) Find the magnetic flux through the loop when L = 5.55×10−2 cm

C) Find the magnetic flux through the loop when L = 12.5 cm

That's what I was getting confused about, since it gives you L - why is it asking you to put it in terms of L - or does it mean put it in terms of the length of the solenoid?

Thanks

1. What is magnetic flux through a loop?

Magnetic flux through a loop is the measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a closed loop. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux through a loop calculated?

Magnetic flux through a loop is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the loop that is perpendicular to the field. The formula for magnetic flux is Φ = B * A * cos(θ), where B is the magnetic field, A is the area, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector to the area.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux through a loop?

The unit of measurement for magnetic flux through a loop is webers (Wb). It can also be expressed in terms of volt-seconds (V*s) or tesla-square meters (T*m²).

4. How does changing the angle of the loop affect the magnetic flux through it?

Changing the angle of the loop with respect to the magnetic field changes the amount of magnetic flux through the loop. The maximum flux occurs when the loop is perpendicular to the field, and no flux occurs when the loop is parallel to the field.

5. What factors affect the magnetic flux through a loop?

The magnetic flux through a loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, and the angle between the loop and the magnetic field. It is also affected by the material of the loop, as different materials have different permeability values that can affect the amount of flux passing through the loop.