Prove n^3 less than or equal to 3^n for n=1,2,

• Thread starter naele
  • Start date
In summary: Consider instead expanding (k+1) and finding an upper bound for that based on k3Well it's not "obvious" but plotting 3k^3 - (k+1)^3 shows negative values for positive k. On the other hand, I'm not sure what you mean by finding an upper bound.Expanding gives k^3+3k^2 +3k+1. Comparing that with k^3 + k^3 +k^3. I could try a term by term comparison of 3\cdot 3^k=3^k + 3^k +3 ^k. The first terms of each side are ok because that's by assumption. But
naele

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex]n^3 \leq 3^n[/tex] for [itex]n=1,2,...[/itex]

Homework Equations

Binomial theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Check for P(1)= [tex]1^3 \leq 3^1[/tex]. So the base case holds, now assume P(k) is true and show that it implies P(k+1).

By assumption [tex]3\cdot k^3 \leq 3\cdot 3^n[/tex]. And this is where I get stuck because obviously [tex](k+1)^3 \nleq 3k^3[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
If that last part is obvious, you should be able to prove it. It'll be tough...

Consider instead expanding (k+1) and finding an upper bound for that based on k3

Well it's not "obvious" but plotting [tex]3k^3 - (k+1)^3[/tex] shows negative values for positive k. On the other hand, I'm not sure what you mean by finding an upper bound.

Expanding gives [tex]k^3+3k^2 +3k+1[/tex]. Comparing that with [tex]k^3 + k^3 +k^3[/tex]. I could try a term by term comparison of [tex]3\cdot 3^k=3^k + 3^k +3 ^k[/tex]. The first terms of each side are ok because that's by assumption. But [tex]3k^2 > 3^k[/tex] so hmmm.

naele said:
Well it's not "obvious" but plotting [tex]3k^3 - (k+1)^3[/tex] shows negative values for positive k. On the other hand, I'm not sure what you mean by finding an upper bound.

If you can find a natural number k that breaks the inequality, you're done. You've proven the hypothesis to be false.

[tex]3k^2 > 3^k[/tex] so hmmm.

By inductive hypothesis
[tex]3k^2<k^3<3^k[/tex] as long as [itex] k \geq 3[/itex]

So your base case is in fact going to be a couple of values of k, but that's not a real problem

naele said:

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex]n^3 \leq 3^n[/tex] for [itex]n=1,2,...[/itex]

Homework Equations

Binomial theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Check for P(1)= [tex]1^3 \leq 3^1[/tex]. So the base case holds, now assume P(k) is true and show that it implies P(k+1).

By assumption [tex]3\cdot k^3 \leq 3\cdot 3^n[/tex]. And this is where I get stuck because obviously [tex](k+1)^3 \nleq 3k^3[/tex]
Do you realize that you are saying that the very statement you are trying to prove is "obviously" false? [itex]3k^3= k^{k+1}[/itex] so if [itex](k+1)^3\nleq 3k^3= 3^{k+1}[/itex] then [itex]n^2< n^3[/itex] is not true for all n.

1. What is the mathematical proof for n^3 ≤ 3^n?

The proof for n^3 ≤ 3^n is a simple induction proof. It involves showing that the statement is true for the base case, which is n=1. Then, assuming that it is true for n=k, we can show that it is also true for n=k+1. This completes the inductive step and proves the statement for all natural numbers n.

2. How does this inequality relate to exponential growth?

This inequality is a representation of the concept of exponential growth. As n increases, the value of 3^n grows much faster than n^3. This is because the base number (3) is greater than the exponent (n), resulting in a larger value. As a result, n^3 will always be less than or equal to 3^n.

3. Can this inequality be extended to other values of n?

Yes, this inequality holds true for all natural numbers n. It can also be extended to real numbers, as long as n is positive. However, the proof for real numbers is more complex and involves using calculus.

4. How is this inequality useful in the field of science?

This inequality is useful in many scientific fields, particularly in the study of growth and decay. It can be applied to population growth, bacterial growth, and other processes that exhibit exponential growth. It can also be used in algorithms and computer science to analyze the time complexity of algorithms.

5. Are there any exceptions to this inequality?

No, there are no exceptions to this inequality. It holds true for all natural numbers n and can also be extended to real numbers as long as n is positive. However, it is important to note that the values of n^3 and 3^n will eventually become equal as n approaches infinity.