Ducted fan modelling in Gambit

In summary, the conversation is about a person named Steve who is working on a ducted fan and wants to simulate it in Fluent for design optimization. They are having trouble with modeling in Gambit and ask for guidance on how to handle a moving rotor and stationary duct. They also mention their interest in estimating the thrust of the ducted fan during hovering.
odane3113
Hi, my name is Steve..

I am working on a ducted fan. I want to simulate it in Fluent in order to optimize my design. I know that sliding mesh technique and multiple reference frame method will be used but I am having problems in Gambit.

I do not know how to model it in Gambit. I have made my model in Pro Engineer and exported in IGS format. I made a box around the ducted fan and then subtracted the ducted fan (Duct + rotor) from the box using Boolean operation. But after subtracting it from Box only one volume is left.

Please can someone guide me how to handle the box and ducted fan (duct + rotor) in Gambit. Because rotor is moving and duct is stationary.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are doing duct design you should read my friends PhD dissertation.

http://www.lib.umd.edu/drum/handle/1903/8752

Yes I am designing the duct. I want to estimate the thrust of ducted fan during hovering.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is ducted fan modelling in Gambit?

Ducted fan modelling in Gambit is a computational method used to simulate and analyze the performance of a ducted fan system. This involves creating a 3D model of the fan and its surrounding duct structure, and then using fluid dynamics equations to simulate the flow of air through the system.

2. What are the benefits of using Gambit for ducted fan modelling?

Gambit offers a user-friendly interface and powerful meshing capabilities, making it a popular choice for ducted fan modelling. It also has advanced features such as boundary layer meshing and turbulence modeling, which are essential for accurately simulating the flow in a ducted fan system.

3. Can Gambit handle complex ducted fan geometries?

Yes, Gambit has the ability to handle complex geometries, such as non-circular ducts and varying blade shapes. This allows for more realistic simulations and better understanding of the flow behavior in different ducted fan designs.

4. How accurate are the results from ducted fan modelling in Gambit?

The accuracy of the results depends on various factors such as the complexity of the model, the mesh quality, and the turbulence model used. However, with proper setup and validation, Gambit can provide accurate results that closely match experimental data.

5. Can Gambit be used for optimizing ducted fan designs?

Yes, Gambit has optimization tools that can be used to improve the performance of a ducted fan system. By modifying parameters such as blade angles and duct shape, Gambit can help identify the optimal design for maximum efficiency and performance.