Calculating Concentrations in a 1.0-L Buffer Solution with Added HCl

• Thread starter Ki-nana18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the problem involves determining the concentrations of HNO2 and NaNO3 after the addition of 1.8 g of HCl to a 1.0-L buffer solution that is 0.105 M in HNO2 and 0.180 M in NaNO3. By converting 1.8 g of HCl to moles, the resulting concentration of HNO2 is 0.154 M after subtracting this value from the original 0.105 M. However, for NaNO3, the correct process involves adding 0.0494 mol of HCl to the original concentration of 0.180 M, resulting in a final concentration of 0.229 M.
Ki-nana18

Homework Statement

A 1.0-L buffer solution is 0.105 M in HNO2 and 0.180 M in NaNO3. Determine the concentrations of HNO2 and NaNO3 after addition of 1.8 g HCl.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I turned 1.8 g of HCl into mols and got 0.0494 mol of HCl. I subtracted this number from .105 M to find the new concentration of HNO2 and got 0.154 M. For NaNO3 I added 0.0494 and got 0.229 M but these answers were wrong. So what is the process to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org

Technically speaking HNO2/NO3- mixture is not a buffer.

It's supposed to be NaNO2.

Ki-nana18 said:
got 0.0494 mol of HCl. I subtracted this number from .105 M (...) and got 0.154 M.

Check your math and pay more attention to what you add/subtract. Idea is - in general - OK, but the execution is horrible.

I got the right answers, thank you for your help. :approve:

1. What is a 1.0-L buffer solution?

A 1.0-L buffer solution is a type of solution used in scientific experiments that contains a specific concentration of a weak acid and its conjugate base. It is used to maintain a stable pH in a reaction or experiment.

2. How is a 1.0-L buffer solution prepared?

To prepare a 1.0-L buffer solution, a specific amount of a weak acid and its conjugate base are mixed together with water. The amount of each component used will depend on the desired pH of the solution and the pKa of the weak acid.

3. What is the purpose of using a 1.0-L buffer solution?

The main purpose of using a 1.0-L buffer solution is to maintain a stable pH during a reaction or experiment. This is important because many biological processes and chemical reactions require a specific pH range to function properly.

4. What is the difference between a 1.0-L buffer solution and a normal solution?

A 1.0-L buffer solution differs from a normal solution in that it contains a specific concentration of a weak acid and its conjugate base. This allows it to resist changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added, while a normal solution does not have this buffering capacity.

5. How do I know which weak acid and conjugate base to use for a 1.0-L buffer solution?

The choice of weak acid and conjugate base for a 1.0-L buffer solution will depend on the desired pH and the pKa values of the components. It is important to choose a weak acid and conjugate base that have pKa values close to the desired pH in order to achieve the best buffering capacity.