Will Press Fit and Powder Coat Work Together for My Sheet Metal Part?

In summary, Eric believes that he will be able to produce a product that will be okay when powder coated and that thicker or thinner material will not be a problem. He recommends testing a sample before proceeding.
emagray
Hello all, I need some help with a sheet metal part I am going to produce. The part consists of 12ga A572 grade 50 sheet metal and a 1020 or 1018 steel spacer that will be press fitted into a laser cut hole in the sheet metal. After assembly the part will be powder coated where I know temperatures in the oven are normally 300~400 degrees. Will there be a problem powder coating parts that are pressed together? More specifically I am concerned with there being a difference in expansion rates between the different materials causing the press fit to fail when exposed to those temperatures. I think it should be fine since both materials are low carbon steel and should have similar expansion rates but I wanted to post here for some input/assurance.

Thank you!
- Eric

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can estimate the stress developed as follows:

stress = E * [ alpha(A572) - alpha(1020) ] * (Tf - Ti)

E = modulus of elasticity (should be about the same for both)

alpha = coefficient of linear expansion for your two steels

Tf, Ti = final and initial temperatures.

Try to limit your stress to 60% of the yield stress of the weaker of the two.

I would have greater concern if the sheet metal were of thinner gage, but your combination will probably be okay. Run a test piece through the process to be sure.

pantaz said:
I would have greater concern if the sheet metal were of thinner gage, but your combination will probably be okay. Run a test piece through the process to be sure.
Thick or thin material can still develop thermal stress. Notice the thickness does not appear in the formula I listed.

edgepflow said:
Thick or thin material can still develop thermal stress. Notice the thickness does not appear in the formula I listed.

I should have been more clear -- I wasn't thinking about stress, I just meant that thinner gage steel would absorb heat more quickly than the spacer, which may allow the hole to expand faster than the thicker section of the pressed-in piece.
(I know, that's not phrased in the best technical verbiage, but I'm tired, and I think you'll understand my intent.)

emagray said:
Hello all, I need some help with a sheet metal part I am going to produce. The part consists of 12ga A572 grade 50 sheet metal and a 1020 or 1018 steel spacer that will be press fitted into a laser cut hole in the sheet metal. After assembly the part will be powder coated where I know temperatures in the oven are normally 300~400 degrees. Will there be a problem powder coating parts that are pressed together? More specifically I am concerned with there being a difference in expansion rates between the different materials causing the press fit to fail when exposed to those temperatures. I think it should be fine since both materials are low carbon steel and should have similar expansion rates but I wanted to post here for some input/assurance.

Thank you!
- Eric

I don't think the expansion will be so much a difference as to allow your spacer to fall out, not at that temp.

Thank you all for the help! I think I am going to just run a couple samples through different processes and see what works best =)

1. What is press fit and how does it work?

Press fit is a method of joining two parts together by pressing them together with an interference fit. This means that the diameter of one part is slightly larger than the diameter of the other part, creating a tight fit when they are pressed together. The pressure applied during the pressing process holds the parts in place without the need for additional fasteners.

2. What are the advantages of using press fit?

Press fit offers several advantages over traditional methods of joining, such as welding or soldering. It does not require any additional fasteners, which can save time and money. It also creates a strong, secure connection between the parts that is resistant to vibrations and other external forces. Additionally, press fit does not generate heat, which can be beneficial for delicate materials or components that are sensitive to high temperatures.

3. What is powder coat and how is it applied?

Powder coat is a type of coating that is applied as a dry powder to a metal surface. It is typically made of a mixture of resins, pigments, and other additives. The powder is electrostatically charged and then sprayed onto the metal surface, where it adheres due to the opposite charge of the surface. The coated part is then cured in an oven, which causes the powder to melt and form a smooth, durable finish.

4. What are the benefits of using powder coat?

Powder coat is a popular choice for finishing metal parts due to its many benefits. It is highly durable and resistant to scratches, chipping, and fading. It also provides excellent corrosion protection, making it ideal for use in outdoor or harsh environments. Additionally, powder coat is available in a wide range of colors and finishes, allowing for customization and versatility in design.

5. Can press fit and powder coat be used together?

Yes, press fit and powder coat can be used together in the manufacturing process. In fact, they are often used in conjunction with one another to create a strong, durable, and visually appealing finished product. The press fit connection ensures that the parts stay securely in place, while the powder coat provides a protective and aesthetically pleasing finish. This combination is commonly used in the automotive, furniture, and appliance industries.