A simple question on a modified Double-Slit Experiment

In summary, the answer to this question is yes, the interference pattern is the same on a half detection screen as it is on a whole detection screen.
Izhaki
I guess inaccuracies in the actual experiment suggests the answer for this question. But would still ask to confirm.

If instead of using a whole screen, one simply puts half a screen. That is, from a top view the screen extends upwards from the central beam axis, also right in the middle between the two slits. Something like this:

...|...|
....|
beam>...|...|
...|...

Would the same interference pattern emerge on that half screen?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Izhaki said:
I guess inaccuracies in the actual experiment suggests the answer for this question. But would still ask to confirm.

If instead of using a whole screen, one simply puts half a screen. That is, from a top view the screen extends upwards from the central beam axis, also right in the middle between the two slits. Something like this:

...|...|
....|
beam>...|...|
...|...

Would the same interference pattern emerge on that half screen?

Thanks!

Yes it would. The entire screen does not need to be present.

Thanks!

DrChinese: has any experiment been done with half detection screen? Since QM is fully counter-intuitive surprises, I wonder if anyone has bothered to check.

Which modified experiment are you referring to; I have seen at least three, and would not be surprised if there were many more.
DC

the detection screen is halved as asked in the original question. I am curious if anyone has confirmed that interference pattern of single electron build up is unchanged on the half screen.

Xverse said:
the detection screen is halved as asked in the original question. I am curious if anyone has confirmed that interference pattern of single electron build up is unchanged on the half screen.
I don't know if double-slit experiment has been performed with halved screen but in real experiments where you count individual photons it is usual that there is no screen at all but just single detector that is moved around in single plane (line actually).

zonde said:
I don't know if double-slit experiment has been performed with halved screen but in real experiments where you count individual photons it is usual that there is no screen at all but just single detector that is moved around in single plane (line actually).

Hi Izhaki, for example delayed choice quantum eraser uses a single detector that is moved around. there are many more as Zonde has mentioned above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser

I had a similar question, early on... just that it was the other way around...;)

namely ...would a single detector show the same pattern as a whole big (stationery) screen that covers/catches most of the photons/pattern?

the answer, of course, is yes and it helps rule out a lot of imagination/hypothesis...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...quantum_eraser

Thanks for the link!

Yes, shortly after submitting the post I've realized that whether the detector is halved or tilted, one should see a similar pattern. So some hypothesis I toyed with went out of the window.

What I'm trying to say is that I reckon my question was stupid to begin with. It is still nice to have people affirming what was wrong thinking to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Double-Slit Experiment?

The Double-Slit Experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How is the Double-Slit Experiment modified?

In a modified version of the experiment, a detector is placed at one of the slits to determine which slit the light passes through. This alters the interference pattern and provides insight into the behavior of particles that are being observed.

3. What is the significance of the modified Double-Slit Experiment?

The modified Double-Slit Experiment helps us understand the behavior of particles and the role of observation in quantum mechanics. It also has implications for the nature of reality and our understanding of the universe.

4. How does the modified Double-Slit Experiment relate to the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The modified Double-Slit Experiment demonstrates this principle by showing that the act of observation can influence the behavior of particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Double-Slit Experiment?

The Double-Slit Experiment has been used in various fields such as optics, quantum computing, and even art installations. It has also contributed to the development of technologies such as holography and electron microscopy.