What's wrong with my calculation?

• Thread starter scilover89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a particle with mass travelling at the speed of light and how it would require infinite energy to move beyond the speed of light. A calculation is presented, but it is later determined to be incorrect due to not using the relativistic formula for kinetic energy. The concept of rest-mass and relativistic mass is also mentioned.
scilover89
"If a particle which has mass travel at the speed of light, the particle mass will reach infinity, which require infinity energy to move it, thus particle can't travel beyond the speed of light."
I made an calculation about it.(And it turned out to be wrong) However, I couldn't find the mistake!
This is my calculation:
Let the mass = 1kg, and the velotion = c
Kinetic energy gained while travelling=0.5mc^2
=0.5c^2
When these energy is fully converted into mass,
Einstein's Equation:E=mc^2
0.5c^2=mc^2
m=0.5
The mass gained by the particle is 0.5, not infinity? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation describes the amount of energy released when turning mass into energy - it has nothing to do with relativistic mass.

and besides m = 1kg is nonsense because you are confusing rest-mass and relativistic mass. Keep in mind that mass is always interpreted as rest-mass though the epitheton rest is left behind...

marlon

What is the most common mistake in scientific calculations?

The most common mistake in scientific calculations is using the wrong units or incorrect conversions. It is important to always double check the units and conversions in your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Why am I getting a different result than expected in my calculation?

There could be several reasons for getting a different result than expected in a calculation. Some possible explanations include using incorrect input values, using an incorrect formula, or making a mistake in the calculation process. It is important to carefully review each step of the calculation to identify any errors that may have occurred.

How can I avoid making mistakes in my calculations?

To avoid making mistakes in calculations, it is important to double check all input values and units, use the correct formula, and carefully follow the steps in the calculation process. It may also be helpful to have a colleague or supervisor review your calculations for accuracy.

What should I do if I realize I made a mistake in my calculation?

If you realize you made a mistake in your calculation, it is important to correct the mistake and re-do the calculation. If the mistake was significant, it may be necessary to start the calculation over from the beginning to ensure accuracy.

Why is it important to verify the accuracy of calculations in scientific research?

In scientific research, accuracy is crucial for drawing valid conclusions and making informed decisions based on the results. Incorrect calculations can lead to incorrect results and potentially impact the validity of the research. Therefore, it is important to always verify the accuracy of calculations in scientific research.