Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba vs. Vector Analysis by Brand

In summary, the conversation discusses different options for a vector analysis book that is rigorous and proof-oriented. It mentions that the Marsden and Tromba book is not considered to be so and suggests looking into other books such as Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternburg. The conversation also mentions that the book by Louis Brand may be a good option.
MechanicalEngr
Hi. I have heard that the marsden and Tromba book is not very rigorous. Is this true? I seek a vector book that is something proof intensive. I took vector analysis b4 with a book called vector calculus by Susan colley, I am looking for something more rigorous than this. Anyone read vector analysis by Louis brand? Seems hard to find a good vector book without doing into differential forms. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi all. I went ahead and ordered the analysis book by Brand, it was only 10 bucks. How about the Marsden and Tromba book? Is it rigourous and proof oriented? Thanks.

From what I was told, Marsden and Tromba is not considered to be rigorous and proof oriented. Why don't you check out Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternburg?

1. What is the main difference between "Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba" and "Vector Analysis by Brand"?

The main difference between "Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba" and "Vector Analysis by Brand" is the level of mathematical rigor. "Vector Calculus" is geared towards advanced undergraduate and graduate students, while "Vector Analysis" is more suitable for introductory courses. "Vector Calculus" also covers more advanced topics, such as differential forms and manifolds, while "Vector Analysis" focuses on the fundamentals of vector calculus.

2. Which book is better for self-study?

For self-study, it really depends on the individual's mathematical background and goals. If you have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra, "Vector Calculus" may be a better choice as it covers more advanced topics in vector calculus. However, if you are new to the subject and are looking for a more accessible introduction, "Vector Analysis" may be a better option.

3. Does one book have better explanations and illustrations than the other?

Both books have clear explanations and illustrations, but some readers may prefer the style and approach of one over the other. It is best to preview both books to see which one resonates with you more.

4. Are the practice problems and exercises similar in both books?

Both books have a variety of practice problems and exercises, but the level of difficulty may vary. "Vector Calculus" may have more challenging problems, while "Vector Analysis" may have more introductory level exercises. It is recommended to use both books for a well-rounded understanding of the subject.

5. Can I use both books simultaneously for my studies?

Yes, using both books simultaneously can be beneficial for a deeper understanding of the subject. The books cover similar topics but with different approaches and levels of rigor, which can complement each other. It is also a good idea to consult with your instructor or a tutor to guide you in using both books effectively.