Farewell Physicsforums - Goodbye from Member

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that many very important mentors have quit recently. That is definitely unnatural, and I hope that whatever the cause is, that it is resolved while keeping in mind the long term future of PF.Dave has decided to leave PF. He has thanked everyone for their time here and said goodbye. He has mentioned that if anyone wishes to contact him, Evo has his email address. He has also mentioned that the Funny pictures of politics and world affairs thread was one of his favourite posts. He has also mentioned that he might come back in December to vote for Micromass to be the funniest member. He has also said goodbye to Mark. He has said that he will miss PF and the chats
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Dear members of PF,

I am sad to announce that I will be leaving PF. I wish to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for the wonderful time I had here. I deeply enjoyed the interactions and discussions with everybody here.

If anybody wishes to contact me, Evo has my email address.

Goodbye everybody.

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
awww will miss your awesome input to the forums

best wishes in all your future endeavours :smile:

Dave

I just found this out, this is why tornadoes and violent super cell storms have been sent here! :cry:

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do. Thank you for the help you have been giving PF throughout your stay.

By the way, it seems that many very important mentors have quit recently. That is definitely unnatural, and I hope that whatever the cause is, that it is resolved while keeping in mind the long term future of PF.

Thank you again micromass :)

What...? But what about all our conversations on esoteric math stuff? Cantor sets? Singularly continuous probability measures? WHO WILL I TALK TO NOW? You can't leave... :(

This makes me sad :cry:.

But I wish the best -- no, the very best -- for you, micro {{hug}}.

Goodbye micromass,

Thanks for everything. But mostly, for the Funny pictures of politics and world affairs thread.
I'm sure you'll get lots of good Karma points for that. :smile:

Om

Goodbye micro :cry:

davenn said:
awww will miss your awesome input to the forums

best wishes in all your future endeavours :smile:

Dave

Thank you. You should know that you were always one of my favorite posters here. People like you make this forum a better place!

Evo said:
I just found this out, this is why tornadoes and violent super cell storms have been sent here! :cry:

Somehow I think that is due to Chopin and Ming...

montadhar said:
I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do. Thank you for the help you have been giving PF throughout your stay.

Thank you again micromass :)

And thank you for our (sadly too few) conversations in chat. You were always honest and fair to me for what I did on the forums and in the chatroom. I cannot but deeply appreciate it.

Matterwave said:
What...? But what about all our conversations on esoteric math stuff? Cantor sets? Singularly continuous probability measures? WHO WILL I TALK TO NOW? You can't leave... :(

Thank you. This is my gift to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierpiński_set :tongue: I will deeply miss our chat conversations. When the next supernova occurs and we measure more than 10 neutrinos because of this, then I will think of you! :tongue:

lisab said:
This makes me sad :cry:.

But I wish the best -- no, the very best -- for you, micro {{hug}}.

Thank you Lisa. You are truly one of a kind! And that's a good thing.

OmCheeto said:
Goodbye micromass,

Thanks for everything. But mostly, for the Funny pictures of politics and world affairs thread.
I'm sure you'll get lots of good Karma points for that. :smile:

Om

I might just pop back in in december to vote for you to be the funniest member :tongue: You can't imagine how many times your posts made my day!

collinsmark said:
Goodbye micro :cry:

Goodbye Mark! You did not come in the chatroom a lot anymore, but I always enjoyed it when you were there.

micromass said:
I am sad to announce that I will be leaving PF.
OK, now I'm sure that something is seriously wrong with PF, but I don't understand what.

Are you likely to be active anywhere else?

Good luck!
I really enjoyed your polls and "Funny pictures of politics and world affairs" thread.

It's a sad day. We didn't interact much, but I always enjoyed reading your posts. PF won't be the same without you.

I don't believe you. You already did once, then you got back.

Likes Vishera
Best wishes micromass. I hope that you'll be back again soon.

Goodbye Micromass, hope you come back soon and if not best of luck in your future endeavors!

Don't say goodbye :frown: You are going to close your browser and never log in again?

Goodbye Micromass, you were one of my favourite Mentors here. I really liked your posts. :smile:

micromass, all the very best!

micromass said:
Thank you. This is my gift to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierpiński_set :tongue: I will deeply miss our chat conversations. When the next supernova occurs and we measure more than 10 neutrinos because of this, then I will think of you! :tongue:
What's the neutrino threshold for coming back?

Bye :frown:

I find it a little hard to believe that someone's life can be so full of responsibility (family, work), so that he can't find a couple of hours in a month to log on here and make some automatically valuable contributions.

dextercioby said:
I find it a little hard to believe that someone's life can be so full of responsibility (family, work), so that he can't find a couple of hours in a month to log on here and make some automatically valuable contributions.

While I too wish we would see more of Micromass, I don't think that making him feel guilty is the right way to make this happen.

No, that was not my intention, just suggested that 'goodbye, PF' takes some will power after making 18000 posts.

Vanadium 50 said:
While I too wish we would see more of Micromass, I don't think that making him feel guilty is the right way to make this happen.
No. Let him go. With Guilt! From boiled blood splatters down his arms and legs and torso, and various other uncovered body parts, for a future crime, yet to be committed...

Let him not return...

as I suspect...

micromass said:
I might just pop back in in december to vote for you to be the funniest member ...

he's going off to study, Volcanology...

:frown: :cry:

Goodbye and best to you micromass. Because of the high quality of your posts I have often wondered who you are and what your background is. My home page has my email address if you should want to share such info.

I am deeply saddened by your departure, micromass. Your presence in the chat will be missed. =[

Nooo you can't leave. Request denied.

Seriously though, I understand it. You've been spending so much time here that it must be hard to get anything else done. So let me just say that I have really appreciated your efforts to help me with topology, measure theory, integration theory, Hilbert spaces, operator algebras and lattices. You have been of greater value to me than all the other members of the forum combined.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3TQbDz6-4eM?version=3&start=61&end=64.5&autoplay=1

micromass said:
Dear members of PF,

I am sad to announce that I will be leaving PF. I wish to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for the wonderful time I had here. I deeply enjoyed the interactions and discussions with everybody here.

If anybody wishes to contact me, Evo has my email address.

Goodbye everybody.
:frown:
Thank you for all your contributions, your wonderful and wacky humor, all your funny pictures and jokes (which have made me laugh many times). And we had great fun in the long PF Futbol League thread, it made the World Cup even more enjoyable, and I won't forget that! I hope you'll be doing well in your life and maybe pop in here now and then nevertheless. :smile:

strangerep said:
OK, now I'm sure that something is seriously wrong with PF, but I don't understand what.

Are you likely to be active anywhere else?

I don't know yet. There are few places on the internet that I've really liked as much as PF. I don't know yet, I need to think and see.

I wish to thank you for our discussions we had together, strangerep. You introduced me to the awesome formalism of rigged hilbert spaces, which will likely end up to be a large part in my thesis. I also think I might have found a solution to that problem you asked me about (extending the spectral theorem for generalized operators). If I ever manage to write it down cleanly, I will let you know.

Lisa! said:
Good luck!
I really enjoyed your polls and "Funny pictures of politics and world affairs" thread.

Thanks a lot Lisa factorial. I'm happy you enjoyed my posts. Please take care!

DrClaude said:
It's a sad day. We didn't interact much, but I always enjoyed reading your posts. PF won't be the same without you.

True, we didn't interact much. But I did always enjoy your posts a lot.

Borek said:
I don't believe you. You already did once, then you got back.

Yes, Borek, that is true. And I cannot predict the future so I cannot say I will never be back. But there is a large chance that I will not be back, so I wish to say goodbye to everybody in case this happens.

Borg said:
Best wishes micromass. I hope that you'll be back again soon.

Thanks a lot Borg. I wish Greg would implement a poll on "best avatar on PF". Yours is surely going to win!

Monique said:
Don't say goodbye :frown: You are going to close your browser and never log in again?

Maybe, I don't know yet, but the chances are nonzero. Take care, Monique!

adjacent said:
Goodbye Micromass, you were one of my favourite Mentors here. I really liked your posts. :smile:

Too bad you stopped coming to chat after a while. But we had fun. Have a good time!

atyy said:
micromass, all the very best!

I must say I never quite understood how a biologist could end up with so much deep and detailed knowledge of physics. I am truly very jealous of your capabilities and your knowledge.

mfb said:
What's the neutrino threshold for coming back?

Bye :frown:

Ask matterwave, he's the neutrino love :tongue: You are one of the best mentor choices we had. So I'm sure the math forums will be safe with you!

LCKurtz said:
Goodbye and best to you micromass. Because of the high quality of your posts I have often wondered who you are and what your background is. My home page has my email address if you should want to share such info.

Thank you. PF would not be possible without excellent posters and homework helpers such as you. Truly, I cannot put into words the admiration I have for you and other homework posters.

StevieTNZ said:
I am deeply saddened by your departure, micromass. Your presence in the chat will be missed. =[

Thank you Stevie. I hope you end up finding the happiness you deserve. You are one of the kindest people out there. Too bad that you must go through all these things.

DennisN said:
:frown:
Thank you for all your contributions, your wonderful and wacky humor, all your funny pictures and jokes (which have made me laugh many times). And we had great fun in the long PF Futbol League thread, it made the World Cup even more enjoyable, and I won't forget that! I hope you'll be doing well in your life and maybe pop in here now and then nevertheless. :smile:

Oh yeah, the futbol thread was fun. I'm really glad that a lot of people enjoyed it so much. And I was afraid at the start that nobody would post in it! It was very exciting until the very end. I'm glad you joined in there and make the many supporting posts you did, it made me appreciate you a lot.

Fredrik said:
Nooo you can't leave. Request denied.

Seriously though, I understand it. You've been spending so much time here that it must be hard to get anything else done. So let me just say that I have really appreciated your efforts to help me with topology, measure theory, integration theory, Hilbert spaces, operator algebras and lattices. You have been of greater value to me than all the other members of the forum combined.

http://www.youtube.com/v/3TQbDz6-4eM?version=3&start=61&end=64.5&autoplay=1

Thank you, Fredrik. I really enjoyed your posts - both the posts helping people as the ones asking for help.

I'll say it again, if anybody wishes to contact me for anything (even if it's just for discussing math), you are welcome to email me!

dextercioby said:

Well, I haven't really disclosed the reason I've left here, and I will not do so. I have to say that I will really miss helping people. Maybe I will miss it too much and get back here, ..., maybe...

Thanks a lot for your contributions on PF, dexter. I really loved to read them!

Finally, I wish to thank my favorite PF poster, WBN. It's been a pleasure knowing you and working on mathematics with you. You are truly the smartest person I have ever known. Your absolute brilliance has often made me feel very small. I know you very much dislike this kind of admiration and pressure, but it's how I truly feel. When you end up getting your PhD, your tenured professorship and your Nobel prize, I hope you will find some time to think of me and the weird topology problems we did at night :biggrin: Please take care!

I can't understand how someone could walk out the door and not look back, it makes me feel like a goodbye thread not too long ago that gave me a very bad feeling.

You get to retain your title of The Honourable Dr micromass.

Ahh yes! The football thread! Thank you for hosting that micromass :biggrin:

Bye micromass. I will miss you in the chat...
And I'll never forget that you helped me in linear algebra in at least 2 threads.

Irreplaceable.

Please take this with you, micro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XGX98OW4Rc

Heartfelt.

micromass said:
I wish to thank you for our discussions we had together, strangerep. You introduced me to the awesome formalism of rigged hilbert spaces, which will likely end up to be a large part in my thesis.
?? :bugeye: ??

I also think I might have found a solution to that problem you asked me about (extending the spectral theorem for generalized operators). If I ever manage to write it down cleanly, I will let you know.
Yes! I do want to know about that, and quite likely others do too. Will your thesis be uploaded to the arxiv at some stage? (Maybe you could PM me if that happens? Not that I'm likely to understand it properly.)

BTW, we need another way to find you. Evo's PM space was exceeded recently, so I couldn't PM her to ask for your email address. :frown: