Register to reply

Noether current

Share this thread:
spookyfish
Oct26-13, 02:18 PM
P: 52
Hi,

I read about Noether's theorem, which states that if, under a continuous transformation, the Lagrangian is changed by a total derivative
[itex] \delta \cal L = \partial_\mu F^\mu [/itex]

then there is a conserved current
[tex] j^\mu = \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi - F^\mu [/tex]

However, I have seen in a different place the formulation that if the action is invariant, then the conserved quantity is:

[tex] \frac{\partial \cal L}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\delta \phi - T^{\mu \nu}\delta x_\nu [/tex]
where [itex] T^{\mu \nu} [/itex] is the energy-momentum tensor.

Is the second formulation equivalent to the first? or is it a particular case
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
vanhees71
Oct26-13, 03:30 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,458
Neither of both formulae is the most general case of a symmetry and Noether's theorem but special cases.

The first case is the symmetry of the action under a variation of the field and unvaried space-time coordinates, where the Lagrangian changes by a total four-gradient, which means that the action is invariant.

The second case is a symmetry under a more general transformation, where the space-time coordinates and fields are changed under the transformation and the Lagrangian is invariant. Of course a symmetry is still present also under such transformations, if the Lagrangian changes by a total four-gradient. Then the Noether current is
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \delta \phi - T^{\mu \nu} \delta x_{\nu}-F^{\mu}.[/tex]
You find this derived in some detail in my quantum-field theory manuscript:
http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Register to reply