New galaxies becoming visible.

• Thread starter PatrickPowers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxies
In summary, the speaker ponders the possibility of new galaxies entering our visible universe through the slow process of formation, which would be greatly slowed down by time dilation. However, it is impossible to determine how many new galaxies may appear in the next million years since there is no boundary to be crossed. The speaker suggests a different question - the ratio of galaxies forming in the present compared to those forming 7 billion years ago - which could potentially be answered with improved instrumentation for observing deeper into space.
PatrickPowers
As we look out into space, soon we shall be able to see the last scattering in every direction. So my thinking is, how could more galaxies enter out visible universe? The only way I can think is that they would enter gradually, by forming before our eyes. Due to time dilation this already slow process would appear to be greatly slowed down. So how many new galaxies could be expected to appear in, say, the next million years? Since they are forming so slowly it would be impossible to say, since there is no boundary to be crossed. So try as I might, this is an ill-posed question. But I hope you get what I'm asking.

Perhaps a better question would be, what's the ratio of

galaxies forming during this year / galaxies forming during the year 7 billion BC.

Space news on Phys.org
Likely this is improved instrumentation to be able to observe deeper.

1. How do new galaxies become visible?

New galaxies become visible through the process of star formation. As gas and dust come together, they begin to collapse and form stars. The light emitted by these stars make the galaxy visible.

2. What causes new galaxies to form?

New galaxies form when smaller galaxies merge together, or when huge clouds of gas and dust collapse under their own gravity. This process is known as galaxy formation.

3. How long does it take for a new galaxy to become visible?

The time it takes for a new galaxy to become visible can vary depending on the specific circumstances. In general, it can take millions to billions of years for a new galaxy to fully form and become visible.

4. Can we see all new galaxies that are forming?

No, we cannot see all new galaxies that are forming. Some may be too far away for us to detect with current technology, while others may be hidden behind clouds of gas and dust. Additionally, the expansion of the universe may also prevent us from seeing some new galaxies.

5. How do scientists study new galaxies?

Scientists study new galaxies through various methods, including using telescopes to observe the light emitted by stars and other objects within the galaxy. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies.