Transistor beta(dc current gain)

In summary, the problem with your circuit is that it is unstable and will eventually blow a transistor. You need some sort of negative feedback to prevent that.
tefavolc
i am tring to use transistor tip 41c , and i want to calculate Ic ,,, knowing that ( Ic=B*Ib)
but when i try to know BETA (B) from the data sheet of the transistor i found that it vary with the collector current (Ic) and the graph show the relation between (Ic) and beta in case Vce=4 volt only,what if i ve to set Vce at different value ?.. please if anyone has experince in that field help,my circuit and the datasheet are in attach.

Attachments

• Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 880
  • TIP41C_3.pdf
    71.9 KB · Views: 484
Engineering news on Phys.org
When employing the bjt, we generally set the emitter current, Ie, to a desired value, & then collector current Ic, is computed as Ic = alpha*Ie. For a small signal bjt, alpha can range from 0.98 to 0.998, very narrow range of values, less than 2% total variation over temperature, specimen, & current level.

The relationship between alpha & beta is alpha = beta/(beta+1), or beta = alpha/(1-alpha).

The problem with setting Ib to a specific value is known as "beta dependency". The beta value can go as low as 50, up to as much as 500. If we wish to set Ic to a known stable, consistent value, we should rely on alpha, not beta.

A good text on basic electronics will show you how to do this. Also, there are many web sites dying to teach people about electronics, but if you are a beginner in the learning stage, you need to differentiate between sound advice, & heresy propagated by 2nd rate hackers, crackpots & wanna-be's. I hope this helps.

Claude

what if i ve to set Vce at different value ?..

It is impossible to set Vce to anything with the circuit shown in your picture.

Or if you like Vce is permanently set to the supply voltage.

Redraw your circuit, including the load (you have not shown any load) and then we can discuss what you want to achieve.

Studiot said:
It is impossible to set Vce to anything with the circuit shown in your picture.

Or if you like Vce is permanently set to the supply voltage.

Redraw your circuit, including the load (you have not shown any load) and then we can discuss what you want to achieve.

ys Vce is set to the supply voltage which is Vcc = 9volt.

ys Vce is set to the supply voltage which is Vcc = 9volt.

Which means that all you will achieve unless you are very very careful with the base resistor is a blown transistor.

The circuit in your diagram is unstable because beta varies substantially not only among transistors of the same type but also with temperature. As your transistor begins conducting it will get warmer increasing the beta which increases the current it conducts. If the current is high enough it will go into thermal runaway and destroy itself.

You need some sort of negative feedback to prevent that. The easiest is to put a resistor between the emitter and ground. The current is then controlled by the voltage at the base which is equal to Ie*R + Vbe.

1. What is transistor beta (dc current gain)?

Transistor beta, also known as dc current gain, is a measure of the amplification ability of a transistor. It is defined as the ratio of the collector current (Ic) to the base current (Ib) in a transistor.

2. How is transistor beta calculated?

Transistor beta can be calculated by dividing the collector current (Ic) by the base current (Ib). It is usually expressed as a unitless number and can range from less than 1 to several hundred.

3. What is the significance of transistor beta in amplifier circuits?

In amplifier circuits, transistor beta plays a crucial role in determining the amplification of the input signal. A higher beta value means a higher amplification, while a lower beta value means a lower amplification. It also affects the input and output impedances of the circuit.

4. How does temperature affect transistor beta?

Transistor beta is highly sensitive to changes in temperature. As the temperature increases, the beta value decreases, leading to a decrease in amplification. This is due to the change in the physical properties of the transistor at different temperatures.

5. Can transistor beta be controlled?

Transistor beta cannot be directly controlled, as it is an inherent characteristic of the transistor. However, it can be controlled indirectly by adjusting the collector current or the base current. This can be done by using resistors in the circuit or by using feedback techniques.