Circuit Switch Disconnecting Battery

In summary: When two capacitors are in parallel, the voltage across them is the same. When a switch is thrown, the potential difference across the capacitors is now V*Q1 + V*Q2 + V*Q3.
Oijl

Homework Statement

In the figure, V = 10 V, C1 = 13 µF and C2 = C3 = 23 µF. Switch S is first thrown to the left side until C1 reaches equilibrium. Then the switch is thrown to the right. When equilibrium is again reached, how much charge is on capacitor 1?

hrw7_25-52.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, C1 is in parallel with the battery so the voltage across it is known, and since it's capacitance is given we also know the charge. But when the switch is thrown, can I act as if the battery is completely disconnected from the circuit? If so, I should act as if C1 is the battery now, shouldn't I? But if so, how do I look at that situation to determine the charge on C1 after equilibrium?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the switch is thrown to right, the charge on C1 is shared by all the three capacitors such the each one has the same potential difference across them.

Certainly. The potential difference across them will be the same, because they're in parallel. But how does the potential difference across the first capacitor change after the switch?

Common potential V can be written as
v = (Q1 + Q2)/(C1 + C2)
Apply same thing for C2 and C3.
You Know that Q = Q1 + Q2 + Q3

Last edited:
So do you mean that I can express the potential difference as

V = (C1Q1 + C2Q2 + C3Q3) / (C1 + C2 + C3)

? And to use this, how do I know the charges Q1,2,3? Using the above equation and Q = Q1 + Q2 + Q3 leaves me with two equations and four unknowns.

I think most importantly is where did v = (C1Q1 + C2Q2)/(C1 + C2) come from? Is it derived from the idea that parallel capacitors have equal voltage and series capacitors have equal charge?

Sorry. It should be (Q1+Q2)/(C1 + C2)
Here C2 = C3. so Q2 = Q3
Initially what is the charge on C1?

The initial charge on C1 is 130 microC.
So 130 microC = Q1 + 2*Q2
Is it a correct statement that in this situation (after the switch) all capacitors have the same amount of voltage across them?
What does V = (Q1+Q2) / (C1 + C2) mean? How do you know that it is true?
And if Q[total] = Q1 + Q2 + Q3, and Q[total] is obviously the initial Q on C1, and I combine Q2 and Q3 into 2*Q2, and I rewrite the numerator in the voltage equation to be 130 - Q2, and since I know the capacitance of C1 and C2, using these two equations you've shown me I can write

V = (130 - Q2) / some#

But I don't yet know Q2 or V, so I can't find either of them, though if I knew either of them I could find everything else as well.

But I don't really understand what voltage this equation represents, so I don't really know how to apply it. Where did you get V = (Q1+Q2) / (C1 + C2) ?

When two capacitors C1 and C2 of charge Q1 and Q2 are connected in parallel, the common voltage V = ( Q1 + Q2)/( C1 + C2)
In this problem, the common voltage
V = ( Q1 + Q2 + Q3)/( C1 + C2 + C3).
The charge remaining on C1 is V*C1

Oh, okay! Thank you for sticking with me through this problem.

What is a "circuit switch disconnecting battery"?

A "circuit switch disconnecting battery" is a device used to interrupt the flow of electricity in a circuit. It contains a switch that can be opened or closed to control the flow of current, and a battery that provides the necessary power to operate the switch.

Why would a circuit switch disconnecting battery be used?

A circuit switch disconnecting battery is typically used in situations where it is necessary to interrupt the flow of electricity in a circuit, such as during maintenance or repairs. It can also be used as a safety measure to prevent electrical accidents.

How does a circuit switch disconnecting battery work?

A circuit switch disconnecting battery works by using the power from the battery to operate the switch. When the switch is closed, it allows electricity to flow through the circuit. When the switch is opened, it interrupts the flow of electricity, effectively disconnecting the circuit.

Are there different types of circuit switch disconnecting batteries?

Yes, there are different types of circuit switch disconnecting batteries, including manual, automatic, and remote-controlled versions. Manual versions require a person to physically operate the switch, while automatic versions use sensors to automatically open or close the switch. Remote-controlled versions allow the switch to be operated from a distance.

What are some potential safety concerns when using a circuit switch disconnecting battery?

Some potential safety concerns when using a circuit switch disconnecting battery include the risk of electric shock if the switch is not properly closed, the risk of fire if the switch is not properly opened, and the risk of damage to equipment if the switch is operated incorrectly. It is important to follow proper safety procedures and guidelines when working with these devices.