Formalism for an extended object

• Thread starter alejandrito29
  • Start date
In summary, the paper "Formalism for an Extended Object" discusses the energy momentum tensor and the induced metric for a submanifold of coordinates y^i i=0...p embebed in a manifold with coordinates x^u u=0...D with metric g_{uv}. The paper also mentions a transform that is similar to the Fourier transform, but instead transforms between the stress energy tensor in the original manifold coordinates and the submanifold coordinates. The variables Z^a and x^a are just dummy variables used in the transform.
alejandrito29
i am read a paper of name: "formalism for an extended object"(in spanish)..
a sub manifold of coordinates [tex]y^i[/tex] i=0...p embebed in a manifold with coordinates [tex]x^u[/tex] u=0...D with metric [tex]g_{uv}[/tex]
the induced metric is:

[tex]h_{ij}=d_ix^ud_jx^vg_{uv}[/tex]

The paper says that the energy momentum tensor is:
[tex]T^{uv}(Z^a)= \int\! dy^{p+1} \, \frac{\sqrt{h}}{\sqrt{g}}h^{ij}d_ix^ud_jx^v \delta (x^a-Z^a)[/tex]

but the paper does not say : ¿what is [tex]Z^a[/tex] and [tex]x^a[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org

They are just dummy variables. Look at the Fourier transform, for instance

[tex]F(s) = \int \exp{(2 \pi i t s f(t))} dt [/tex]

s and t are just dummy variables, similar to Z and x. While the Fourier transform transforms between the frequency and time domain, the transform you quote from the paper transforms the stress energy tensor between the representation in the original manifold coordinates and the submanifold coordinates. Though I'm not quite positive that I have the direction correct, it might do the reverse...

pervect said:
the transform you quote from the paper transforms the stress energy tensor between the representation in the original manifold coordinates and the submanifold coordinates. .

mmm thanks, but, i don't understand

x: manifold coordinate
y: submanifold coordinate

¿and z?
¿yo says :the transform is between the representation inthe original manifold (x?) and the submanifor coordinates(y?) ?
¿what is z?

1. What is formalism for an extended object?

Formalism for an extended object is a mathematical framework used to describe the physical properties and behavior of objects that have a size and shape, such as a table or a planet. It takes into account both classical mechanics and quantum mechanics to provide a comprehensive understanding of extended objects.

2. How is formalism for an extended object different from other theories?

Formalism for an extended object differs from other theories in that it considers an object as having a definite size and shape, rather than being a point particle. This allows for a more detailed analysis of an object's properties and dynamics, making it particularly useful for macroscopic objects.

3. What are the key principles of formalism for an extended object?

The key principles of formalism for an extended object include the use of mathematical equations and concepts to describe an object's physical properties, the consideration of an object's size and shape, and the incorporation of both classical and quantum mechanics to fully describe an object's behavior.

4. How is formalism for an extended object applied in scientific research?

Formalism for an extended object is applied in scientific research by providing a mathematical framework for analyzing and understanding the properties and behavior of extended objects. It is used in fields such as astrophysics, materials science, and fluid dynamics to study and predict the behavior of macroscopic objects.

5. What are the benefits of using formalism for an extended object?

Using formalism for an extended object allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the physical world. It provides a framework for analyzing and predicting the behavior of macroscopic objects, and can also aid in the development of new technologies and materials.