PDE-Heat Equation with weird boundary conditions help

In summary: Try again and see if you can get a real solution.Thanks for trying again. I got a real solution this time. Thanks!In summary, the Boundary Value Problem is to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for lambda>0.
tkwan

Homework Statement

Consider the Heat Equation: du/dt=k(d2u/dx2), where d is a partial and d2 is the second partial. The B.C.'s are u_x(0,t)=u(0,t) and u_x(L,t)=u(L,t), where u_x is the partial of u with respect to x. The I.C is u(x,0)=f(x)

Now, consider the Boundary Value Problem X''(x)=-lambda*X(x), note the negative sign, with B.C's X'(0)=X(0) and X'(L)=X(L), where L is the length of a 1D rod(at the very end of the rod).

Find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions for lambda>0, lambda=0, and lambda<0

The Attempt at a Solution

lambda=0 was an easy one, lambda=0, gave an eigenfunction X=0.
lambda<0, wasn't too bad either. Since lambda < 0 I get X=Acosh(sqrt(-lambda)*x)+Bsinh(sqrt(-lambda)*x), where A and B are constants. Also, note that lambda is negative, thus the square root will not give any complex numbers. Using the first initial condition X'(0)=X(0), I get that A=sqrt(-lambda)*B and plugging back in again, using the second BC, I get that lambda=-1 and thus the eigenfunction is X=Bcosh(x)+Bsinh(x).

lambda>0 is the one I'm having trouble with. If do what I did for lambda<0, and use X=Acos(sqrt(lambda)*x)+Bsin(sqrt(lambda)*x), I get that lambda is -1, again, however, lambda is suppose to be greater than 0, and the eigenfunction is complex. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For X'' + λX = 0, take the case where λ = μ2> 0, so your equation looks like

X'' + μ2X = 0

Instead of using the pair {sin(μx),cos(μx)} try the pair {sin(μx),sin(μ(L-x))}, so

X(x) = Asin(μx) + Bsin(μ(L-x)).

When you use your two boundary conditions you should get that A = B and you should find a sequence of values μn giving corresponding eigenvalues λn.

Thanks for the reply, but should I use the sin(ux), sin(u(L-x))? isn't the solution to this question cos and sin?

Sorry, I meant why should I

Because it makes the work easier. sin(ux) and sin(u(L-x)) are linearly independent so they work just as well as sin(ux) and cos(ux). Try it.

I did try it and I got stuck. If I say X=Asin(ux)+Bsin(u(L-x)) we get X'=Aucos(ux)-Bucos(u(L-x)) and then I get stuck here. I tried both of my BC and couldn't get it to work. If I have X'(0)=X(0), I get Bsin(uL)=Au-Bucos(uL) and I don't know how to simplify that. If I use X'(L)=X(L), I get Asin(uL)=Aucos(uL)-Bu. Again, I can't simplify this.

Looking at it again this morning, I see I had an arithmetic error. I think your {sine,cosine} pair works:

X' + u2X = 0
X(0)=X'(0), X(L) = X'(L)

X = A cos(ux) + B sin(ux)
X' = -Au sin(ux) + Bu cos(ux)

X(0)=X'(0) becomes A = Bu and
X(L) = X'(L) becomes Acos(uL) + Bsin(ul) = -Au sin(uL) + Bu cos(uL)

Put A = Bu in the second equation:

Bu cos(uL) + Bsin(ul) + Bu2sin(uL) - Bu cos(uL) = 0
B (1 + u2)sin(uL) = 0

This leads to [itex]u_n = \frac{n\pi}{L}[/itex] with corresponding eigenfunctions.

I see what you did. Thanks a lot! I just ended up dividing both sides by B sin(uL) without thinking. Thanks. This leads me to a second question, for the lambda < 0, did I do that one right? I followed similar steps for that one. Thanks again. You're a real life saver.

Your original equation was X'' + λX = 0. The case where λ = u2 > 0 gives the sine-cosine eigenfunctions we have looked at.

The case λ = - u2 < 0 gives rise to

X(x) = A cosh(ux) + B sinh(ux)

If you do the same steps as I did on the sine-cosine one I think you will find that only u = 1 giving λ = -1 works with eigenfunction φ1 = cosh(x) + sinh(x).

I also think you need to look again at λ = 0; you should find that you can take φ0 = 1.

How did you get X0=1? If lambda=0, then X=A+Bx, using X'(0)=X(0), you get A=B and so X=A+Ax, using X'(L)=X(L), you get A=A+A(L), since L>0 A=0 and so X0=0? Am I missing something? Thanks.

No, you aren't missing anything. I had another glitch. What happens is that λ = 0 is not an eigenvalue because it doesn't lead to a non-trivial solution. φ0(x) ≡ 0 is not an eigenfunction

What is the PDE-Heat Equation?

The PDE-Heat Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of heat in a given area over time. It takes into account factors such as temperature, heat flow, and thermal conductivity.

What are boundary conditions in the context of the PDE-Heat Equation?

Boundary conditions in the PDE-Heat Equation refer to the specified values of temperature or heat flux at the edges of the given area. These conditions help to determine the behavior of heat flow within the system.

What do you mean by "weird" boundary conditions in the PDE-Heat Equation?

"Weird" boundary conditions in the PDE-Heat Equation refer to non-traditional or unconventional values that are specified at the boundaries. These conditions may include, for example, a sudden change in temperature or a discontinuity in heat flux.

Why is it important to consider weird boundary conditions in the PDE-Heat Equation?

Weird boundary conditions can have a significant impact on the behavior of heat flow in a given system. Ignoring these conditions can lead to inaccurate results and a lack of understanding of the true behavior of the system. Therefore, it is important to consider and analyze these conditions in order to accurately model and predict heat flow.

How can I solve the PDE-Heat Equation with weird boundary conditions?

Solving the PDE-Heat Equation with weird boundary conditions can be a complex task and may require the use of numerical methods or advanced mathematical techniques. It is important to carefully analyze the given conditions and consider the appropriate methods for solving the equation. Consulting with a mathematician or utilizing computer software may also be helpful in solving the equation accurately.