Algebra II - Why Does sqrt(x+1/x+2)=(x+1)/sqrt(x)?

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is about finding the length of an arc and evaluating an integral using Wolfram Alpha. The discussion then turns to simplifying the equation and it is suggested to collect the fractions into a single term. The conversation ends with the realization that the fractions can be written as (x+1)^2/x.
GreenPrint
Hi, I'm actually trying to find the length of the arc

y=x^(3/2)/3-x^(1/2); [4,16]

And when I was trying to evaluate

integral[4,16] sqrt(1/2+x/4+1/(4x))dx

I had no idea were to begin so I plugged this into wolfram alpha
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+sqrt(1/2+x/4+1/(4x))dx
and followed it up to this step
1/2*integral[4,16] sqrt(x+1/x+2)dx

It then says it simplified the powers and that

1/2*integral[4,16] sqrt(x+1/x+2)dx = 1/2*integral[4,16] (x+1)/sqrt(x)dx

I don't follow how this was done at all, apparently
sqrt(x+1/x+2) = (x+1)/sqrt(x)
and I don't see how these are equal

I figuered I would post this here because I'm not having problems with the actual calculus but the algebra II, (I think what ever was done to establish that these two expressions are equal to each other is an algebra II topic.)

Thanks for any help you can proivde

Physics news on Phys.org
To simplify in-place, wouldn't the obvious thing to do be to collect the fractions into a single term?

That said, you could always prove they have the same sign and the same square. (squaring to get rid of the square root) or you could cross multiply, or other things.

I don't see how you could collect the fractions into a single term though
inside the square root we have
x+1/x+2
I could write that like this

x^2/x+1/x+(2x)/x
(x^2+1+2x)/x
(x+1)^2/x
ah man thanks =O lol i feel dumb

1. How do I simplify the expression sqrt(x+1/x+2)?

To simplify this expression, you can use the property of square roots that states sqrt(a/b) = sqrt(a)/sqrt(b). Applying this property to the given expression, we get sqrt(x+1)/sqrt(x+2). This can be further simplified by rationalizing the denominator to get (sqrt(x+1)(sqrt(x+2)))/(x+2).

2. What is the reason behind the equality of sqrt(x+1/x+2) and (x+1)/sqrt(x)?

This equality comes from the property of square roots mentioned above. By rationalizing the denominator, we can see that both expressions have the same denominator of sqrt(x+1)(sqrt(x+2)), making them equal.

3. Can this expression be simplified further?

No, the expression sqrt(x+1/x+2) cannot be simplified any further. It is in its simplest form.

4. How can I use this property to solve other algebraic equations?

You can use this property to simplify expressions containing square roots, and it can also be used to solve equations involving square roots. By manipulating the equation using this property, you can isolate the variable and solve for its value.

5. Are there any other properties of square roots that are useful in algebra?

Yes, there are several other properties of square roots that are useful in algebra, such as the product property (sqrt(ab) = sqrt(a)sqrt(b)) and the quotient property (sqrt(a/b) = sqrt(a)/sqrt(b)). These properties can help simplify expressions and solve equations involving square roots.