Troubleshooting Algebraic Anomaly: Why x = -1 Doesn't Work? | Basic Algebra Tips

• Thread starter terryds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Anomaly
In summary, the equation does not have a solution to begin with, so the algebric method does not work.
terryds

Homework Statement

I want to find x that satisfies ##x-\sqrt{(x+2)^2} = 0##
Using algebric method, I find x = -1
But, x = -1 does not satisfy that equation...
What's wrong with the calculation?

Homework Equations

(Basic algebra)

The Attempt at a Solution

##x-\sqrt{(x+2)^2} = 0 \\
x = sqrt{(x+2)^2} ##
By squaring both sides , I\ get
##x^2 = (x+2)^2 \\
x^2 = x^2 + 4x + 4 \\
0 = 4x + 4 \\
x = -1 \\
##

What's wrong with this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you want to solve does not have a solution to begin with.

blue_leaf77 said:
The equation you want to solve does not have a solution to begin with.

So, does it mean that it's necessary to plug the solution that I get from algebric calculation into the equation to confirm it's true??

terryds said:

Homework Statement

I want to find x that satisfies ##x-\sqrt{(x+2)^2} = 0##
Using algebric method, I find x = -1

Homework Equations

(Basic algebra)

The Attempt at a Solution

##x-\sqrt{(x+2)^2} = 0 \\
x = sqrt{(x+2)^2} ##
By squaring both sides , I\ get
##x^2 = (x+2)^2 \\
x^2 = x^2 + 4x + 4 \\
0 = 4x + 4 \\
x = -1 \\
##

What's wrong with this ?
When you square both sides of an equation, there's the possibility that you'll get an equation whose solutions are not the same as the original equation. In this case, squaring introduced an extraneous solution.

terryds said:
So, does it mean that it's necessary to plug the solution that I get from algebric calculation into the equation to confirm it's true??
Yes

Likes terryds
Mark44 said:
When you square both sides of an equation, there's the possibility that you'll get an equation whose solutions are not the same as the original equation. In this case, squaring introduced an extraneous solution.

Hmmm..
So squaring both sides is a wrong attempt to find the solution ?
I wonder if there are any article about to-dos and not-to-dos in solving particular algebraic equations...

terryds said:
Hmmm..
So squaring both sides is a wrong attempt to find the solution ?
No, this is the right approach. It's just that when you apply any non-reversible operation (such as squaring, raising to fourth power, etc.), you need to check to see if you have introduced extraneous solutions.
terryds said:
I wonder if there are any article about to-dos and not-to-dos in solving particular algebraic equations...
You might try doing a search for "extraneous solutions". Most algebra textbooks mention this in the section where equations involving radicals are presented.

Likes terryds
For this equation, you can actually still work in a way which does not introduce any extra solution. Note that you can cast the original equation into ##x-|x+2|=0##. Solve this equation for ##x<-2## and ##x>-2## to see if there is a solution in each region.

Mark44 said:
No, this is the right approach. It's just that when you apply any non-reversible operation (such as squaring, raising to fourth power, etc.), you need to check to see if you have introduced extraneous solutions.

You might try doing a search for "extraneous solutions". Most algebra textbooks mention this in the section where equations involving radicals are presented.

Thanks a lot!

blue_leaf77 said:
For this equation, you can actually still work in a way which does not introduce any extra solution. Note that you can cast the original equation into ##x-|x+2|=0##. Solve this equation for ##x<-2## and ##x>-2## to see if there is a solution in each region.

x-x+2 = 0 (No solution)
x+x+2=0
2x+2=0
x=-1 (Still an extraneous solution)

terryds said:
x-x+2 = 0
x-x-2=0
terryds said:
x+x+2=0
2x+2=0
x=-1 (Still an extraneous solution)
You forget that you are looking for a solution in ##x<-2##. The solution you find there lies outside this range.

blue_leaf77 said:
x-x-2=0

You forget that you are looking for a solution in ##x<-2##. The solution you find there lies outside this range.

So it means no solutions, right ?

Yes.

terryds said:

Homework Statement

I want to find x that satisfies ##x-\sqrt{(x+2)^2\,} = 0##
Using algebraic method, I find x = -1
Suppose you were to solve ##\ x+\sqrt{(x+2)^2\,} = 0\ ## and you used the same method.

That is equivalent to ##\ \sqrt{(x+2)^2\,} = -x\ .##

Squaring both sides gives ##\ (x+2)^2 = x^2\ ##, the same as in your case, giving ##\ x=-1\ .## Here the solution is valid.

What is an algebraic anomaly?

An algebraic anomaly is a situation in algebra where the rules or properties of algebra do not apply, resulting in an unexpected or incorrect answer.

Why doesn't x = -1 work in algebra?

In algebra, the variable x represents an unknown value. When we substitute x = -1 into an expression or equation, it means we are asking "what value makes this expression or equation true when x is -1?" In some cases, this value may not exist, leading to an incorrect or nonsensical answer. This is known as an algebraic anomaly.

What are some common causes of algebraic anomalies?

Some common causes of algebraic anomalies include dividing by zero, taking the square root of a negative number, and using incorrect order of operations. These situations violate the rules of algebra and can lead to unexpected or incorrect answers.

How can I avoid algebraic anomalies?

To avoid algebraic anomalies, it is important to follow the rules of algebra and pay attention to details. Double-check your work and be aware of potential pitfalls, such as dividing by variables or negative numbers. Practice and familiarity with algebraic concepts can also help prevent errors.

What should I do if I encounter an algebraic anomaly?

If you encounter an algebraic anomaly, carefully review your work and check for any mistakes or violations of algebraic rules. If you are unable to identify the issue, seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. It is important to understand the cause of the anomaly in order to avoid similar errors in the future.