Finding ΔHvap of water from graph of ln (p of H2O in atm) versus 1/T

In summary: J/mol or 42.3 kJ/mol.In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where the volume of trapped air was measured at various temperatures. The slope of a graph representing ln (p of H2O in atm) to 1/T (in Kelvin) is supposed to equal -ΔHvap/R, but the units and numbers do not match up. The correct units for the slope are in Kelvin, and using this unit, the value of ΔHvap is calculated to be 42.3 kJ/mol.
icecream1023
1. From a lab experiment, I measured the volume of trapped air at various temperatures. I know I did calculations correctly up to the point that I drew the linear relationship between ln (p of H2O in atm) to 1/T (in Kelvin). My textbook says the slope of this graph is supposed to equal -ΔHvap/R, but the first thing that's confusing me is that I don't know what the units are and the second thing that's confusing me is just that the numbers don't work out. The slope of the line in this graph is -5158.73, but I don't understand how units fit into this. As I've said, the y-axis is ln (p of H2O in atm) and the x-axis is 1/T (in Kelvin).

2. I don't...know what to put in this section.

3. If the slope is equal to -ΔHvap/R, then...
-5158.73 = -ΔHvap/R
ΔHvap = 5158.73 * 0.08206 (Again, I have no idea where my units are!)
ΔHvap = 423.3 *something*

I appreciate any help; thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track, you just need to get your units right. Your slope (-ΔH/R) has to be in K because your x-coordinates are in 1/K; their product needs to be dimensionless to agree with ln(P).

With consistent units:

lnP = -(H/R)*T
[unitless]= -([J/mol] / [J/mol K]) * (1/K)

So if you use R=8.314 J / mol K,
you should get -ΔHvap = 8.314 * -5158.73 J/mol

1. What is the purpose of finding ΔHvap of water from the given graph?

The purpose of finding ΔHvap of water from the given graph is to determine the enthalpy of vaporization of water, which is the amount of heat required to convert one mole of liquid water into water vapor at a constant temperature and pressure.

2. How is the ΔHvap of water calculated from the given graph?

The ΔHvap of water can be calculated by finding the slope of the graph, which is equal to -ΔHvap/R, where R is the gas constant. Therefore, ΔHvap can be calculated by multiplying the slope by -R.

3. What is the significance of using ln (p of H2O in atm) versus 1/T for finding ΔHvap of water?

The use of ln (p of H2O in atm) versus 1/T allows for a linear relationship to be observed, which makes it easier to determine the slope of the graph and therefore, the value of ΔHvap. This method also takes into account the change in pressure and temperature, which affects the enthalpy of vaporization.

4. Can the ΔHvap of water be determined at any temperature?

No, the ΔHvap of water can only be determined at a specific temperature, as shown on the graph. This is because the enthalpy of vaporization is dependent on temperature and will vary at different temperatures.

5. How is the accuracy of the calculated ΔHvap of water affected by experimental errors?

The accuracy of the calculated ΔHvap of water can be affected by experimental errors, such as inaccurate measurements or variations in pressure and temperature. It is important to ensure precise and consistent measurements in order to obtain a more accurate value for ΔHvap.