A problem from thermodynamics -- Freezing of water at 273 K and 1 atm

In summary, the thermodynamics process of freezing water at 273 K and 1 atm is random, exothermic, and involves the loss of potential energy.
vijayramakrishnan

Homework Statement

Freezing of water at 273 K and 1 atm

which of the following is true for the above thermodynamics process
p) q=0
q)w=0
r)ΔSsys<0
s)ΔU=0
t)ΔG=0

Homework Equations

none[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
i got r, s ,t

since the reaction happens at constant temperature,internal energy is constant
since the reaction is open so it is isobaric in nature and since the volume changes due to phase change,so work done is not zero,so heat must be exchanged(first law of thermodynamics).
randomness decreases so ΔSsys<0

but answer given is r t q

i couldn't understand please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
vijayramakrishnan said:

Homework Statement

i got r, s ,t

since the reaction happens at constant temperature,internal energy is constant
since the reaction is open so it is isobaric in nature and since the volume changes due to phase change,so work done is not zero,so heat must be exchanged(first law of thermodynamics).
randomness decreases so ΔSsys<0

but answer given is r t q

i couldn't understand please help.
##\Delta U## includes potential energy. In order to form ice, the water molecules lose potential energy and rotational kinetic energy. Average translational kinetic energy does not change (i.e. temperature) but average potential energy per molecule decreases and there is loss of rotational kinetic energy. The process is exothermic (heat flows out of the water to form ice).

Since ##\Delta Q < 0##, ##\Delta S = \int dQ/T = \Delta Q/T < 0##.

Since P and T are constant, ##\Delta G = \Delta Q - T\Delta S = T\Delta S - T\Delta S = 0##

I am not sure about w = 0, however. Ice takes up more volume than liquid water (which is why ice floats). So there is a small amount of work done on the surroundings.

[later edits are in italics]

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
##\Delta U## includes potential energy. In order to form ice, the water molecules lose potential energy. Average kinetic energy does not change (i.e. temperature) but average potential energy per molecule decreases. The process is exothermic (heat flows out of the water to form ice).

Since ##\Delta Q < 0##, ##\Delta S = \int dQ/T = \Delta Q/T < 0##.

Since P and T are constant, ##\Delta G = \Delta Q - T\Delta S = T\Delta S - T\Delta S = 0##

I am not sure about w = 0, however. Ice takes up more volume than liquid water (which is why ice floats). So there is a small amount of work done on the surroundings.

AM
thank you very much sir,understood it.

With respect to the internal energy, I should have said that the average translational kinetic energy does not change. The specific heat of water is greater than the specific heat of ice. This is because H2O molecules lose rotational kinetic energy when they freeze to form ice because they lose the rotational degree of freedom.

AM

1. What is the significance of 273 K and 1 atm in the freezing of water?

The temperature of 273 K (0°C) and the pressure of 1 atmosphere (atm) are known as the standard temperature and pressure (STP) conditions. These values are commonly used in thermodynamics to represent a standard reference point for comparing the properties and behavior of gases, liquids, and solids. In the case of water, 273 K is the temperature at which water freezes and 1 atm is the pressure at which the phase change from liquid to solid occurs.

2. Why does water freeze at 273 K and 1 atm?

Water freezes at 273 K and 1 atm because this is the point at which the Gibbs free energy (ΔG) becomes negative, indicating a spontaneous phase change from liquid to solid. At this temperature and pressure, the energy required to overcome the intermolecular forces holding liquid water molecules together is equal to the energy released when the molecules form a solid lattice structure.

3. Can water freeze at temperatures other than 273 K?

Yes, water can freeze at temperatures other than 273 K. The freezing point of water is affected by various factors such as pressure, impurities, and the presence of nucleation sites. For example, at high altitudes where the atmospheric pressure is lower than 1 atm, water can freeze at temperatures below 273 K. Similarly, adding impurities or disturbing the water can also lower its freezing point.

4. What is the role of thermodynamics in the freezing of water?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that studies the relationship between energy and its transformation between different forms. In the case of the freezing of water, thermodynamics helps us understand the energy changes and the conditions required for the phase transition to occur. It also provides the necessary equations and principles to calculate and predict the behavior of water at different temperatures and pressures.

5. How does the freezing of water at 273 K and 1 atm relate to other thermodynamic processes?

The freezing of water at 273 K and 1 atm is just one example of a thermodynamic process, specifically a phase change. Other thermodynamic processes include heating and cooling of substances, chemical reactions, and work done by or on a system. All of these processes involve the exchange of energy and can be described and analyzed using thermodynamic principles and equations.