Sonoluminescence Help: Questions on Resistor Wattage, Coil Winding & Audio Amp

In summary, Ahmed A. was working on a sonoluminescence project and ran into some issues. He needs a coil wrapped around a plastic spool with a ferrite core, and 10 watts of current is sufficient. He can order an appropriate amplifier from most any store, and the article he was using is available free from the Scientific American website.
AhmedA
Sonoluminescence Help!

Hello everyone!

Working on my sonoluminescence project in the University of Washington, I encountered some (frustrating) issues. I have little/no electronic experience so please bear with me. Any help is appreciated.

First, looking at the images below, can anyone tell me what is the wattage specification for the resistor? suppose 30 watts are coming from the audio amplifier.

sonocirc.gif

slphdiag.gif

Second, I need a coil wrapped around a plastic spool with a ferrite core to adjust the inductance. How many turns of wire do I need? Whats the equation for this calculation? I'm using a spool with a 2 cm diameter and 2 cm length. My ferrite rod has a permeability of 600 and has an AL value of 74 (the website mentions that is the nH/Square Turn or nH/N2)

Lastly, where can I order an appropriate amplifier? The lab I'm working in does not seem to have an audio amplifier. I need something that is not crazy expensive but will still achieve my needs in this experiment.

Thanks!
Ahmed A.

P.S: This the main reference article I'm using: http://techmind.org/sl/

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ahmed A. Welcome to Physics Forums!

As for the current sense resistor wattage, my guess is 10 Watts should be sufficient.

According to the instructions at the bottom of the techmid.org website you mentioned, the inductor specification is: "around 30mH. Partially-used 500g spool of 0.5mm diameter enamelled copper wire, tuned by sliding a ferrite rod up and down the centre of the plastic spool." You can see the two other DIY experiments below to find the inductor specifications they recommend.

As for the audio amplifier, most anyone will do, you'll need around 30 Watts output power, and you should verify the piezo drive signals are not distorted. They should look like clean, pure sine waves to drive your elements efficiently.

There are several other websites that describe this same experiment with all the details, parts, and procedures. Maybe if you study all of them you can make your experiment better. Here are two:

http://www.macgeisler.de/nld/sbsl-howto.html
http://www.webcitation.org/query?ur.../hbomb41ca/sono.html&date=2009-10-25+23:46:32

Here is one of the best articles on sonoluminescence ever written by two pioneers at UCLA:

“Producing Light from a Bubble of Air.” By R. A. Hiller, B. P. Barber.
Scientific American, February 1995
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/Sonoluminescence/sono.pdf

In that same magazine the authors published how to do the same experiment you are doing in great detail. Too bad I cannot find the article at no cost for you! I suggest you go to your library and copy this for reference!

The Amateur Scientist
Scientific American 272, 96 - 98 (1995)
doi:10.1038/scientificamerican0295-96
Producing Light from a Bubble of Air
Robert A. Hiller & Bradley P. Barber

Some experiments and mathematical descriptions:

http://www.pa.msu.edu/courses/PHY451/Experiments/sonoluminescence/SL%20experiments.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Aolzick/sandbox

Some members here will be interested to hear from you about the results you achieve. Let us know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Word of caution, consumer audio amplifiers are rated for momentary wattage.
If you order a consumer audio amplifier, for 30 watts continuous, you will require something like a 150 watt amplifier.
Industrial audio amplifiers are rated for continuous wattage, so for 30 watt you will require a 30 watt amplifier or larger.

Also if you use a wire wound resistor for sense resistor, it should be noninductive. A standard wire wound resistor will cause problems.

1. What is sonoluminescence and how does it work?

Sonoluminescence is the emission of light from a collapsing bubble in a liquid, commonly achieved by subjecting the liquid to high-frequency sound waves. The sound waves create pressure changes that cause the bubble to rapidly expand and collapse, producing intense heat and light at the moment of collapse.

2. How do resistor wattage and coil winding affect sonoluminescence?

The resistor wattage and coil winding both affect the intensity and duration of the sonoluminescence. The wattage of the resistor determines the amount of heat generated, which in turn affects the temperature and pressure inside the bubble. The coil winding determines the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves, which can also impact the bubble's collapse and light emission.

3. Can any audio amplifier be used for sonoluminescence experiments?

No, not all audio amplifiers are suitable for sonoluminescence experiments. The amplifier must be able to produce high-frequency sound waves with sufficient power to induce bubble collapse. It is recommended to use an amplifier with a frequency range of at least 20 kHz and a power output of at least 100 watts.

4. What are the safety precautions to consider when conducting sonoluminescence experiments?

Sonoluminescence experiments involve high-frequency sound waves and intense heat, so proper safety precautions must be taken. It is important to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and to work in a well-ventilated area. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby and to follow all instructions and guidelines for the equipment being used.

5. Are there any potential applications for sonoluminescence?

Sonoluminescence has potential applications in various fields, including medicine, chemistry, and materials science. It could be used for targeted drug delivery, synthesizing new materials, and studying chemical reactions in extreme conditions. However, more research is needed to fully understand and harness the potential of sonoluminescence.