Calculating Friction and Tension in a Pulley System

In summary: I apologize, I misunderstood the problem statement. In that case, your solution for part a) looks correct. For part b), you can use the same equation you used to find the acceleration, but solve for the tension in the rope (FT). You will need to use the mass and acceleration of both boxes in that equation. In summary, the first problem involves finding the frictional force and tension in a rope connecting two boxes, given their masses and the force applied to the first box. The second problem involves determining the maximum length of a rope hanging off a table without slipping, given the coefficient of friction between the rope and table.
wow22

Homework Statement

1. a box has a mass of 100kg, and the second has a mass of 55kg. there is a rope between them that attaches them. there's a rope connecting to the first box, that is pulled with a force of 200N at 50 degrees above the horizontal. the box os moved 305cm for 5s
a) what is the frictional force on the boxes
b) what is the tension in the rope joining the two boxes

a rope is hanging off the side of the table. the rope is 2m long. the coefficient of friction between the table and the rope is 0.62
what is the maximum length of the rope that can hang over without slipping?

Homework Equations

1. i tried using d=vy1*t+0.5g*t^2 to find a. if i assumed vy1 is 0 because it starts from rest. then tried using Ef=Fappy-Ffs to find the mui in FFs...

2. Have no idea how to start

The Attempt at a Solution

have no idea o-o'' what to do ><"

Physics news on Phys.org
As you've written it, the first problem can't be solved because there isn't enough information. Please tell us the problem statement is exactly as it was given to you.

With force problems, the first thing you should do is identify all the forces acting and draw a free-body diagram for each object.

that's actually all the information given :s
that's why I'm findin it hard to do. but i found out how to do a).
to find friction:
equate the two equations
mass A: Ef=Fapp-FT --> Ft= Fapp-Ef
mass B: Ef= Ft-Ffs --> Ft= Ffs + Ef
therefore:
Ffs+Ef = Fapp-Ef
Ffs= Fapp-Ef-Ef(second one)

acceleration found with d=v1y*t + 0.5g*t^2 = 0.24m/s^2
...but idk how to do b) :s

& I'm finding it hard to imagine the rope as a free body diagram.. cause half of its on the table and the other half is off.
so like half of it is lieing horizontally and the other half it lieing vertically.. i can't imagine what force is acting on what part... :s

I think in relaying the question here, you've changed the wording and ended up inadvertently omitting some necessary info. That's why I asked you to tell us what the problem statement is exactly as written. Your solution doesn't make sense to me, and as you've written the problem, it can't be solved without making arbitrary assumptions.

kkk...

a person pulls a string of two boxes across level ground. the first box has a mass of 100kg and the second, 55kg. pulling the rope attached to the first box with a force of 200N at 50 degrees above the horizontal. the box os moved 305cm for 5s
a) what is the frictional force acting on the boxes
b) what is the tension in the rope joining the two boxes

thats it^ the entire question.

You can't solve that problem. You don't know the initial velocity, if the boxes accelerate, etc.

that's why we assumed that the inital velocity starts from rest, and found the acceleration to be 0.24m/s
it might not be right, but that's what most of us had done.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and are moving relative to each other. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and can cause objects to slow down or stop.

How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either increase or decrease the speed of motion, depending on the direction of the force. It can also cause objects to change direction or come to a complete stop.

What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction depends on factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. The type of motion (sliding, rolling, or fluid flow) also plays a role in determining the amount of friction.

How is friction useful?

Friction is useful in many everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and writing. It allows us to grip and hold onto objects, as well as control our movements. Friction is also important in machines and technology, as it helps to slow down or stop moving parts and prevent slipping.

How can friction be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce friction, including using lubricants, polishing surfaces, and using smooth materials. In some cases, reducing the weight or force pressing the surfaces together can also decrease friction. Additionally, changing the type of motion (such as from sliding to rolling) can also reduce friction.